Chapter 7: Sentitive Subjects

Jack's POV

We had been driving for around 15 minutes now; I sat there, silently, not daring to make a noise. Soon, a car park came into view and we were turning into it, before coming to a swift stop in a parking space. I gazed over to the multiple large shop fronts ahead of me. There were six of them, a fast food place, a pet store, a furniture store, a supermarket, a mattress store and a home appliance store.

"C'mon, we haven't got long." Dalton brought me out of my faze, getting out of his car and slamming the door behind him, causing an unwanted flinch to echo through my body.

I swiftly threw my body out of the car and ran to catch up with Dalton, who had stormed off in the direction of the home appliance store. When I finally reached him, it was like I wasn't there. His eyes were fixed on his phone screen in front of him, not even faltering slightly at my presence. He hates me so much.

We entered the large building, instantly smothered by huge neon signs and boards showcasing the newest products and offers, however, Dalton wasn't interested. His eyes didn't even wander slightly away from his phone as he walked seamlessly through the aisles, mindlessly leading us both to the shelves that stacked the microwaves. Once he'd reached his destination, he finally glanced away from his phone, looking at the selection briefly before quickly choosing a specific one and reaching out to grab it. I hated to admit it, but my eyes drifted to his arms as he did so, I watched as he lifted the heavy item into his arms and how they tensed when he did so, clear signs that the microwave was heavy, but never did his face show any signs of discomfort, not once.

"Come on." He grumbled, pacing off to the cashier.

I followed behind him, keeping my distance and silence as I did. Once we had reached the check-out, he quickly scanned the item and paid smoothly, hugging the microwave tightly under his arm again and walking towards the exit.

We headed out of the shop, still in silence until Dalton spoke up, confidently.

"Wait there." He ordered, and marched off to the car.

I did as I was told, standing awkwardly as I observed Dalton, who had thrown the microwave into the boot of his car and was now on his way back to me.

"Do you wanna eat?" He asked, focus shifting back to his phone.

"I-I'm fine, thank you." I muttered as I looked down to my feet, the guilt of him having to spend his own money on me eating me away.

"Okay, so you are hungry, just too polite to admit it." He looked up at me and smirked, "McDonalds is across the road come on." He pointed to the small shop in the distance.

"Dalton, no, it re-" I tried but I was cut off.

"Shh, just come with me, you may be too nice to admit you're hungry but I'm fucking starving."

"O-okay, sorry." I cautiously followed behind him, not too close to annoy him but close enough for him to know I was there.

We reached the food place and after a small session of me refusing to tell him what I wanted, out of guilt, and him sighing before telling me to find a seat and walking off, he returned with a tray of food, sliding coolly into the opposite of the booth.

"I got you a Big Mac meal, it's my favourite." He smiled slightly as he reached forward, passing me a handful of food.

"Dalton, you didn-"

"Just say thank you, that is all you need to do." He rolled his eyes before digging into his chips, grabbing three at once and stuffing them into his mouth, careless of the people around us.

My cheeks grew red out of embarrassment, I must have been annoying him so much, "Thank y-you."

I grabbed one small chip and ate it slowly, in a more delicate manner than Dalton did so.