Chapter 33: Meet Amber

"Hey, I've got an idea of what we could do tonight." Dalton stated, pulling his headset off his head and spinning around on his chair to face me.

It was around 4pm, the sky still blue and gleaming, decorated with flocks of birds. Dalton had merely sat on his PS4 all day, uninterested by anything that didn't glow in his face, including me for that matter.

I hadn't done much today either. I had sat in my bed almost all day, book in hand or just watching Dalton, wishing I saw the entertainment and rush of energy that playing video games gave him.

"Yeah?" I bounced up, folding the corner of my book and placing it to the side to give him all of my attention. I hated staying at home all day, if he wanted to go out, I was bound to want to come too.

"You know my friend Amber?"

"Mhm" I nodded.

"Well, she's one of my closest friends, really the only person I get along with without having the urge to claw my eyes out. I just thought you should meet her since she's important to me or whatever, you know? You don't have to if you think it's stupid." He continued.

"No, no, I want to meet her. You've made her sound so nice, I'd really love to." His face looked as if he had just been offered £1000 as he thanked me gleefully.

He called Amber and arranged for us to come over whilst she had the house to herself, and they'd cook some food together. It sounded fun, I was excited.

Dalton didn't talk about her much, but when he did, he spoke so highly of Amber. He spoke about her as if she saved his life.

I hope one day he speaks about me like that.

Getting ready was a quick process, both of us going as we were, in sweatpants or shorts and random tops. I wanted to wear something nice to give Amber a good impression but Dalton not me not to worry.

We said goodbye to his parents before climbing into Dalton's car and soon setting off into the darkening streets.

As we drove, I grew nervous. What if Amber doesn't like me? What if we don't get along?

Amber most definitely means more than him that I do so if she doesn't like him, he'll probably get rid of me.

"Hey, you nervous?" Dalton broke me out of my anxious trance, watching me as we pulled up to a red light.

"Huh, um oh no."

"You sure?" He snickered, pointing to my leg bouncing up and down subconsciously.

"Oh, um yeah uh," I struggled to finish my sentence, embarrassed that my nerves were so obvious.

"What's on your mind?" He questioned, glancing over at me every second or so.

"W-what if she doesn't like me?" My voice was shaky.

He laughed in response, turning to me with a look as if I said the dumbest thing ever.

"I like you, and I don't like anyone so I have no doubt in my mind that she'll love you. Here." He said calmly, taking one of his hands off of the steering wheel and placing it on my leg to stop the bouncing, and to my surprise, it worked.

His touch made me calm down, the nerves in my stomach were disappearing. But something else was filling their place.

Butterflies began to flutter as I focused on Dalton's hand and where it was, it was on my thigh, with a tight comforting grip, and so damn close.

I took a few deep breaths, trying to keep myself in check. I could do this.

My eyes wandered out of the window, finding comfort and relief in the pretty sky. The clouds were an array from pastel blues and pinks, swirling like cotton candy. The sun was low, just hitting the horizon, the orange light glowing against my skin.