Chapter 12: Cleaning Catastrophes

The next morning, I was awoken to Katherine entering to room and opening the blinds to let the unwanted sunlight trespass into the room. "Get up, boys, and Dalton, breakfast will be ready in an hour but you're not getting any until this room is spotless. As for you sweetie," she turned to face me, a sugary grin on her face, "you don't have to do anything, just come down in an hour for food." After, she closed the door and a mumbled "make sure to clean the room" was heard, as well as feet hitting the stairs as she descended into the kitchen, I'm guessing.

A creak in the bed notified me that Dalton was awake, when I looked up at him, he had rolled over to face me, using his hand as a shield to cover his eyes from the sun.

"Morning." I chirped, airing up in my bed in a surprisingly good mood.

"Morning." He croaked, his morning voice was a sound I wished I got to hear more. It was deeper than usual, a bit chesty, but nice, very very nice.

We said our good mornings before he got up to brush his teeth and hair, me following close behind once he had finished and left the bathroom. Once we were both finished, he slouched down on the bed and began observing the room.

"As for you, sweetie, don't do anything except sit on your cute little ass." Dalton mocked his mother, feigning a high pitched slightly feminine voice. He rolled his eyes too. "Why the fuck does she not expect you to help either, you fucking live here." He expressed his distaste for what his mother had said, and I agreed with him.

"S-Sorry. I'll help." I muttered, guilt rising in my stomach. I was obviously going to help anyways. I was staying here, why should I not help out?

"Whatever, half the mess is yours anyway." His tone was sour as his hand raised to point to a corner of the room where my neatly positioned and zipped up bag sat.

That bag was perfectly neat and the only reason it still lived on the ground was because Dalton refused to give me any wardrobe room, which I understand, just don't complain about my things then being on the floor.

However, none of this was vocalised, instead, I simply began to pick up clothes and fold them.

"It's not even that messy." He concluded and crossed his arms, making me internally roll my eyes. The room was disgusting but that wasn't my place to say.

I looked around my feet as I cleaned. There were cups, plates, an absurd amount of empty plastic water bottles, clothes, towels, video game discs, wires, papers, bags, jackets, shoes, sprays all scattered across the floor in a very unorganized manner. I didn't have a lot in my room, so it was easy to keep it clean and having a messy room was something I am yet to get used to.

The next twenty minutes or so were simply me cleaning,  putting clothes away,  and throwing rubbish in the bin. I found a disc case for a video game, 'Fallout'. "Where does this go?" I glanced to Dalton, who was sat upright on his unmade bed, enticed by his phone.

He looked up for a short amount of time, a bored expression prominent on his face. "Oh, just chuck it in one of the draws under my bed or whatever." He said, nonchalantly, before continuing what he was doing previously. I nodded my head and crawled over to the bed. It was one of the beds where the bottom had drawers underneath for extra storage.

I used to have one too since I was scared that there could be monsters underneath.

I pulled open the one furthest from the headboard of the bed and placed the case neatly in the corner of the drawer. The box was full of random things, like a junk drawer, but shoved under his bed. Something that caught my eye was a book, but it wasn't one you read, it was one you wrote in. It was a notepad with a black cover, the word 'Dalton's' carved messily into the front of it.