Chapter 16: Hangovers

Jack's POV

The very first thing I felt was the hammering in my head. It was as though there were a stampede, all clambering around, creating chaos and havoc, all when I needed sleep the most. I hadn't even opened my eyes yet but I could feel how heavy my eyelids were, begging, pleading to go back to sleep, but my throat was screaming for water so reluctantly I forced them open. Instantly, the white lights of Dalton's room came into vision, the aching in my head multiplying. My mind went back to last night and even the mere thought of the smell of vodka made the sickness in my throat become a prominent taste in my mouth. Water. I need water.

I sat up slowly, my hand clutching at my hair, shielding the light from my fragile eyes. Half awake, my eyes lazily scanned the table next to the bed and never have I been more grateful to see a glass of water in my entire life.

I sighed in relief, grasping the glass and swallowing the contents in a matter of seconds. I placed the glass back onto the table, unaware of my surroundings, until I noticed something.

I noticed the extra pillows surrounding my body, I noticed the extra bounciness of the mattress, the smell of the quilt, the thickness of the covers. I was on Dalton's bed.

Shifting my eyes, I focused on Dalton, who was cuddled into my small bed on the opposite side of the room, his mouth slightly parted and eyelashes glistening against the warm July sun. He was beautiful. There was no way around it. When he was completely at peace, no anger, no frustration, no hatred, he was truly beautiful.

I tried to get some sleep again but my head was pounding, the pain vibrating through my body, polluting my ever so important sleep.

I ended up lying there, the memories of last night staining my mind. I was drunk. I've never been drunk before. It wasn't even that good.

I was drunk in front of Dalton. He must think I'm an idiot now. He was probably so embarrassed to be seen with me.

All the flashbacks were clear, I remembered everything. I remembered getting jealous. I remembered trying to down the bottles of vodka that Dalton's friends were giving me. I remembered accusing Dalton of leaving me when he never even had to stay in the first place and came straight back after he was done. I remember that even though I was being horrible and accusing Dalton, he didn't retaliate like he normally would have, he didn't get defensive, like he should have because I was being completely unreasonable, he was just simply more comforting.

My thoughts were disturbed when I heard shuffling from the other side of the room.

"Morning." He croaked, still half asleep.

"Morning." I replied awkwardly.

"How you feeling? Hungover?" He grinned slightly, sitting up on the mattress and facing me completely.

"Uhm, yeah, a little bit. Is that bad?"

"No, you were pretty fucked so I'd be surprised if you felt fine." There were no tones of annoyance or hatred in his voice as he spoke.

"I'm sorry about yesterday." My head fell, not wanted to meet Dalton's eyes as he remembered all the things I blamed him of doing, I couldn't face seeing the disappointment in his eyes.

"Sorry about what?"

"Well the whole night, but specifically when we were waiting for the taxi, I said some stuff I didn't mean." I swallowed, mentally preparing myself for the anger potentially coming.