Chapter 11: Basketball Struggles

"This is it."  Dalton spoke up as we finally reached the same park that I visited when Dalton and I brought the microwave.

"I've been here before." I replied as I made my way clumsily over the twigs and weeds that had grown over the path, the sounds of leaves crunching vibrating around us.

"I know, no on ever really comes here so I'm surprised you found it."

"How did you know about it?" I asked, cautious not to overstep my boundaries.

"I used to play here when I was younger, my friends and I would spend hours and hours here, I think only twice that I can remember, there were other people here so it's usually empty, which is good. I get to clear my head here." He shrugged, placing the basket ball, which we had brought, tightly under his arm and making his way around the park until he reached a small basket ball court that I hadn't discovered the last time I were here.

"Play with me?" He offered, holding the ball out for me.

"Oh, no I don't play, I can't play. I'm really bad." I tried. I haven't even touched a basket ball let alone played with it in a very long time so I must be atrocious.

"Just play, loser." He threw the ball at me, it hit my chest and then bounced to the floor before I could even register what was going on. "Wow." He let out a breathy laugh. "You are awful."

"Okay, no need to rub it in." I giggled, picking up the ball and messily bouncing it in all sorts of directions. Dalton hadn't even moved from his original position yet, he just stood there, entertained by my desperate attempts to recreate cool tricks I'd seen on tv.

"Well, I think you've seen enough of me, show me what you can do." I threw the ball at him, it went like 45° to the left of him but his reflexes were quick enough for him to move and catch it before it fell. What a show off.

"Try and tackle me and get the ball, okay?"

"This isn't exactly a fair fight." I pointed out. I'm a little skinny twig, prone to snapping, and he has the body of an athlete.

"C'mon, just try."

"Fine." I huffed before running towards Dalton. At first he didn't move at all. He simply kept the ball held at my height in front of him. I was going to get it. I was so close to doing so then he suddenly jumped to the right, causing the ball to become out of reach.

I sighed loudly before running again to catch up with him. He'd managed to run to the opposite side of the court and was preparing to throw the ball in the hoop. For the second time today, I did something without thinking about it. I ran with all my power and jumped on his back, wrapping my legs around his waist and arms around his neck.

"Stop." I whispered, out of breath.

I must have caught him off guard because he accidentally dropped the ball, this was my chance. I jumped off of him in lightening speed and made a run for the ball. Dalton figured out my plan, but before he could even do anything about it, I had reached the ball. I got it! A giant smile was painted over my face as I gripped the ball and raised it above my head in victory.

"I got it! I got it!" I yelled, making my way back to Dalton, who's cheeks were red for some reason, however that didn't distract me from the huge grin on his face too.

"Well done, Jack. I'm not sure I approve of your methods though." He teased, before grasping the ball in my hand and yanking it into his direction before running off to the hoop and throwing it flawlessly in, no difficulties what so ever.

"Can I try?" I asked, causing a smug Dalton to turn around the chuck the ball in my direction.

I took the ball and walked up to one of the hoops before trying to throw it in, only for it to horribly miss and come falling back down behind me. Small snickers were heard from behind me, making me roll my eyes.