Chapter 26: I'm proud of you

We had only recently gotten back from ice skating, legs still pulsing with pain from my heavy steps over the ice, when my mother decided spontaneously to take us out for a family meal. "There's a fancy little restaurant a few miles down the road, boys." She grinned, eyes scanning the listing of food places sprawled over her laptop screen, observingly.

"Can't we just stay in?" I frowned. I wasn't particularly in the mood to soak up all of my mother's fake love and empty compliments about how proud of me she was.

"Nope, this is the last night we are spending here because we are going home tomorrow so I don't want to waste it." The laptop was firmly closed, leaving a small echo to bounce around the room when the two separate sides hit against one another.

"What about if you and dad go on a date and let me order food for Jack and I." Although Jack never protested to going out, I still, for some reason, included him in my plan to stay home with me. I'm doing him a favour; I am much more fun than a meal with my parents.

They both stopped once I finished speaking, momentarily taking in my offer. They stared at each other longingly for a short second; they wanted to say yes. I knew it!

"No, Dalton, this is a family weekend." My mum sighed, twirling her brunette hair round her index finger as she relaxed back into the cream sofa.

"Just go, I know both of you would rather it. Plus, if I go with you now, I won't get the chance to use the hot tub." I reasoned, hopeful of my success.

Once again, there was a drawn-out silence of consideration hanging in the air. "Fine." She finally gave in, standing up hastily. "We will go out, obviously if that is okay with you, Jack?" He nodded quickly, a shy smile cutely painted over his face. "Okay, ground rules then."

Great. She began to set out lots of rules, to which I zoned out for. I'm not six, I don't need to be told how to behave by my mum, thanks. Jack, however, listened carefully, eyes meticulously following her every hand gesture, and head nodding gently after each specific and unnecessary instruction.

Soon, after around half an hour of my mum dulling herself up in her bedroom, they were off, placing £30 for food on the counter. Jack sat with me in the living room at first but then rushed and hid in our bedroom when Grayson messaged him saying he needed to talk to him urgently.

Urgent my ass. All I could hear were two male voices laughing persistently. Take a fucking break from each other. I ordered pizza, which was eaten quickly, Jack getting himself a small plate, only consisting of 2 slices, and hurrying back to his room. Of course.

After scrolling through miles of boring Instagram content, I shut off my phone and got off the sofa, walking to the room and grabbing my swimming trunks from my bag, not giving Jack the time of day as he chatted away to Grayson about their favourite song or some shit like that.

I stepped on the wooden patio outside after sliding the glass door open, eyes wide as I pulled the lid of the hot tub off only to discover a variety of lights from underneath the water illuminating the surrounding area. Steam wafted through the air, dancing in the soft breeze of the night. Dipping my finger in to test the heat, I finally jumped in, instantly feeling relieved of the stress and jealously that drifted out of my body into the humid atmosphere. My muscles were relaxing, goose bumps raising across my tanned skin as I let my body succumb to the high temperatures of the water. My eyes fell closed, only listening to the trees waving and twigs snapping in the distance.

My peace was obviously interrupted when the soft hums of nature were overpowered by harsh screeches of the glass door opening, a timid and self-conscious Jack stood at the beginning of the wooden patio, waiting reticently for my approval to let him get in.