Chapter 23: Boyfriend?

A/N- I'm so sorry about how slow this book is at the moment. I'm doing my A-levels right now, which I'm incredibly stressed out about. Every time I stop revising to write or read, I feel too guilty, as if I'm wasting my time, and I don't feel confident enough to give myself proper breaks right now, so writing is really difficult for me. And when I do set a time to sit down and write, it comes out rushed and boring because my mind is elsewhere and that isn't fair to the readers. I'm so sorry and promise that after the 21st of June, my last exam, everything will be back to normal. Thank you for bearing with me through this xxx

Sorry, rant over, thank you so fucking much for the continued support, you are all amazing!!!! <3333

"Hey, do you want to come back to mine for a while?"

It had been days since I first met Grayson, we instantly clicked, talking about everything that came to our minds. We bonded over our many similarities, not having a lot of friends, not being popular, hating parties.

"Is that okay?" He asked, sitting upright and dusting off his deep blue denim jeans.

"Yeah, I'll text Katherine now because it's cold and I'm hungry." I grinned, pulling out my phone.

I saw his slight questioning face when I said the name Katherine, as if he were expecting me to say my mother or father, but I wasn't about to unload my messy family on this poor boy only days after meeting him.

Due to her friendly, bubbly persona, I knew they wasn't going to be a problem with Grayson coming over, and I was right. Through my texts, I gathered that she was overly excited to meet him.

We soon made it to Dalton's house, discussing our favourite animals as we got there.

"Hey, darling." Katherine smiles at me before turning her focus to Grayson. "Oh, you must be Grayson." She placed a hand on his shoulder, her voice as vivacious as ever.

"Aren't you handsome?" Grayson laughed slightly, his head falling as blood rushed to his cheeks.

"Thank you." He spoke politely.

"We've already eaten, darling, sorry for not waiting for you." She pouted for a second as if she felt bad. "But, I left the food in the fridge if you boys want to plate it up and eat it in the living room."

"Thank you." I sang before walking over to the fridge and pulling out a large bowl filled with chicken salad.

I placed a fair amount in two porcelain bowls before carrying them both into the empty living room, Grayson following behind.

"You live in a really nice house." Grayson stated, thanking me quietly as he took the bowl from my grasp.

"Oh, um it's not really m- um I don't... It doesn't matter, thank you." The internal conflict battling in my head subsiding quickly.

"It's cool, you don't have to explain anything." He gave me the most pleasant smile, bright and contagious.

"Thanks." I let out a small sigh, feeling more comfortable with Grayson every minute.

Soon, our conversation lightened as footsteps emerged from the staircase outside of the living room. Dalton appeared briefly in the doorway, hands full with plates and glasses, glancing between Grayson and I before huffing and walking off into the kitchen, causing an unintentional frown to creep over my face.

Since a few days ago, Dalton has been really distant. Although we weren't exactly close before, now, I feel like a stranger to him. I used to feel as though I were a part of his life, as though if I kept trying, I could finally get him to open up, but recently the most words exchanged between the both of us is a rare "morning" or "night." I tried to ask what was wrong several times, I missed our 'bond', or whatever you call it, but every time I tried, failure slapped me in the face as I would either get an incredibly ambiguous general response or get straight up ignored. What ever he was going through, I hope he opens up to me soon so I can try to help.