Chapter 10: Forced Adventures

Jack's POV

The next morning, I woke up to the harsh and uninviting sunlight peeking through the tiny crevices of the curtains, blinding my morning eyes.

After a usual stretch and silent yawn, I pushed my body away from the mattress that lay on the ground.

The bed didn't look comfy at first glance, but I found it heavenly. Maybe it was because my opinion was slightly bias, since my bed at home had been bumpy, thin and all sorts of uncomfortable. It was awful, so anything that was slightly comfier that that was angelic to sleep on.

It was frequent for me to experience night terrors around once a week when I lived with my parents. I looked it up and it said it was caused due a lot of stress and anxiety that pulled me out of my sleep easily. This explains why I haven't had any at all since staying with Katherine and her family.

I tiptoed across all of Dalton's piles of clean clothes, dirty clothes, plates, discs, parcel boxes and pizza boxes and silently made my way out of the room, careful not to wake Dalton from his peaceful looking sleep.

I scrambled my way downstairs and instantly, my nose was hit with the aroma of bacon. A smile grew on my face as I nearly the kitchen, listening to the gentle hums of Katherine as she waltzed around the kitchen without a care in the world. As I approached the doorway, she was facing my way but looking down as she stirred the bacon in the pan.

"H-hey." I stuttered, her attention immediately focusing on me.

"Hi, darling, how did you sleep?" She asked as she began picking the slices of bacon off of the pan and laying them down on a plate. 

"Good, thank you. I'm so grateful you have given me a roof to sleep under. I haven't had such a great sleep in months." She looked up at me with a heart-warming smile.

"We are both doing each other a favour, hun. I adore having such a loving child around. It's like a dream come true." She grinned. She was so sweet, Dalton was so unbelievably lucky.

She walked off to a tin and pulled out a loaf of bread before pulling out eight slices. She grabbed four plates and began making bacon sandwiches. She made the first one and handed it to James, who had been in his office for majority of the morning. She then made the second one and pushed it in front of me, which I happily accepted. She made the third one and realised she had ran out of bacon and only had enough for three sandwiches. She looked conflicted for a second before shrugging her shoulders and taking a bite out of the third sandwich.

"Dalton never comes down before mid day anyways, he probably won't even want one." She slightly smiled before taking another bite and began tidying up.

Suddenly, footsteps echoed behind me, and as if Katherine had jinxed it, Dalton strolled in, eyes looking heavy and movements slow.

His eyes flickered over to our sandwiches and then to the empty pan and he made this noise that actually scared me. He let out a small breathy laugh, but it held no joy in it whatsoever. Instead, it was cold, and resentful.

"Thanks for making me some, Katherine." He emphasised her name before rolling his eyes and storming out.

Guilt filled my body as I looked down to my plate. How could I have been offered breakfast and not Dalton? That made me feel awful.

"Hold on a second." I glanced up to Katherine and smiled, before grabbing my plate and running upstairs.

The look on her face as I left was horrible. The way her eyes dropped and her smile ceased so quickly when Dalton called her by her own name was depressing. She looked so heartbroken.