Chapter 18: The Arcade

Jack's POV

The next morning, I woke up, completely unaware of the fact that Dalton's arm was currently wrapped around my side and that his head was leaning against mine.

We were still sat up, leaning against the wall, yet I wasn't even the slightest uncomfortable.

My heart was pounding, like a hammer to my chest. What if he were to wake up and freak out at the position? Surely two friends didn't sleep like this? Were we even friends? What if he calls me gay and never speaks to me again? Or says that he doesn't want my germs on him like other kids have said to me. What if he is repulsed by me?

I sat there frozen, I wanted to push myself off because it would save the embarrassment if he were disgusted but the way his body was tangled delicately with mine, like an intricately weaved blanket, made this task slightly difficult.

I ended up giving up and accepting my fate. If he wakes up and hates me, I'll just build up my friendship with him from the start again.

He soon shifted, lifting his head from mine slowly. My body tensed under his, anticipating his negative reaction. However, it turns out I'll be waiting for a while because it never came. Instead, he looked around the room, yawned, and rested his head back on mine and pulling my body closer to his and tightening the grip.

Okay. I guess he isn't uncomfortable then.

As I sat here under his protection, I couldn't even remember what it was like to be scared, or alone, or worried, or shameful. The only feeling running through my veins was safety. I felt safe, like nothing and no one could touch me. I felt content, I was at peace laying in the arms of my only friend, the only person who was willing to listen to me and talk to me.

I ended up drifting back into a peaceful sleep for around 2 hours until Dalton woke up for the second time. He tried to pull his body away from mine gently as to not wake me up, however he was unsuccessful. He was trying to weave his arm out from my waist when my eyes gradually opened, which caused him to profusely apologise for waking me up.

We went downstairs after getting ready to have breakfast. Dalton's parents were still sleeping I guessed, so we ended up making ourselves bacon sandwiches. By 'we' I mean him, all him. I didn't go near the food, considering my last encounter with cooking ended up in the house nearly being burnt down.

Unusually, Dalton was in a suspiciously good mood today. He cooked me breakfast without even contemplating it. We sat down on opposite sides of the island and filled the silence with small talk.

Once we were just finishing up and cleaning the mess we made, Dalton's parents strolled into the kitchen, gleaming from ear to ear.

"Hey, sweeties. How'd you sleep?" She asked, cheerfully.

It seemed as though she had forgotten about the argument her and Dalton shared yesterday, thankfully.

"Good, thank you. We uh just made breakfast and I'm so sorry, w-we didn't make you any and uhm the counter is still messy." I rushed, looking around panicked.

"Jack." Dalton said, sternly.

"It's okay, honey. We didn't expect you to clean up anything." I let out a sigh. They truly were the sweetest parents alive.

She threw me a genuine smile and I gave her one back. "Oh, and one more thing. I won some free arcade tokens from work and I'm obviously not going to use them so I was thinking..." She trailed off, her eyes flickering from Dalton to me and back, a hopeful grin drawn on her face.