CHAPTER 3

"Okay, luckily we know quite a lot about the powers you are going to develop and how you can control them because of the other two elves who were claimed by Caspian." Mr Faye says, flipping through a large book. 

"What power do you have?" I ask him, ignoring what he just said. 

"Fire." He replies, still looking through his book. "Here it is, this is what happened to the first elf claimed by Caspian." 

I skim through it, "it will start with you feeling lots of energy and electricity surging through your body. Wear gloves to make sure you don't  electrocute or send bolts of energy flying around the place." I read aloud. 

Mr. Faye then hands me some black padded gloves. "Do I really have to wear these?!" I ask. 

"Yes you do, don't worry the elves claimed by Kalama have to wear gloves so they don't burn anything." 

I groan in frustration, "fine" I mutter. "But how long is this going to take? Before I gain all my powers?" 

"After one month you should have gained all of them, but then you must learn how to use and control them." Mr Faye replies. 

I slip on the gloves, "but I dont feel any electricity surging through me right now." 

"You will trust me. I had to wear gloves during my first year too, I once set fire to my bed sheets." 

I laugh, "okay okay." I say. 

"Read on, I need to make sure you understand everything that's going to happen." 

"You will also have a deeper connection with the darkness and the night. You will be able to blend into shadows as well as shadow teleport." I look up at Mr Faye, "I can teleport through shadows?" I ask in bewilderment. 

"Not now, but yes you will." 

"Awesome." 

"Odette, you really need to understand that you will become very powerful."

I gave him a confused face, "do you think I'll go insane like the other two elves?" 

"You might, if you become power hungry or you don't talk about what you're feeling. Please come to me if you have any problems, I don't want you to suffer the same fate."

"Okay," I whisper finally realising the situation. 

He nods his head, "good lets continue.." 

---

At lunchtime I decided to spare myself the embarrassment and go stay in the library. On top of all our magical subjects like charms and our individual powers, we still had to learn traditional subjects like maths, English, and history. Luckily next period I had maths, and I love maths. Call me crazy.

"Oh my god look it's that loner loser."

I ignored whoever said that and went back to reading my book.

"I doubt she'll actually become that powerful, I don't understand why everyone's so obsessed with her."

While I could only hear snippets of what they were saying, I could feel my blood boil. How dare they say that about me! They don't even know me!

"I bet she's going to go insane and kill herself like the other two."

I abruptly stand up and turn on my heel, I glare at them as I walk up to them and bump them harshly on the shoulder as I walked past. I could hear their hisses of pain afterwards, which made me smile with satisfaction.

---

"Welcome to maths 101!" Says Mr Faye, I was so glad he was also my maths teacher. Groans erupt around the classroom, but I sit there attentively. Jude was sitting next to me, well not really. We all had single desks but he was next to me.

"Gosh don't look so excited." He whispers to me, I give him a devilish grin in return.

"We'll be starting the year with some algebra, if you could all get your notebooks out and pay attention to what I'm doing."

A few minutes later, I'm easily going through all the questions Mr Faye has put on the board. We were just expanding brackets, something I had no trouble in doing. When I and finished I walked up to his desk and placed my notebook in front of him.
He smiles up at me, "here's a worksheet with some harder questions, think you can handle it?"

"Have you met me?" I retort back, giving him a quick smile. As I'm returning back to my desk Jude is walking up to Mr Faye's desk.

"You're not the only smart ass around here." He whispers to me and I let out a quiet snigger.

I breeze through the question sheet, and more and more people are starting to finish up all the first set of questions.

"Alrighty everyone, class is over. Remember that dinner starts at 6pm sharp!" Mr Faye says as students all hurry out the door. Thankful that school was over.

"Are we going to the library?" Jude asks me as I put on my backpack.

"Sure," and then we walk side by side out into the hallways.