CHAPTER 5

I sat on my bed and brushed through my long black hair, the other girls were all chatting and messing around. Completely ignoring me. While I would consider myself a loner, it doesn't mean that I don't like talking and hanging out with other people. I sigh and put my brush away, I grab one of the books I borrowed from the library about Caspian and begin to read. 

As you may know, Caspian is the God of darkness and pain. He is considered the most powerful of the Gods, this was proven during the Great Wars that started in 1666. He defeated all the Gods combined with his power and ruled over the world of elves for many years. One year he left his duties, and Aria the Goddess of Air took over. He left just after he claimed his very first disciple, Ethan Joon. Ethan was later driven to insanity due to his power hungry attitude and paranoia, the Gods sent him to prison as a result. Caspian is a mysterious and dangerous God, but we are to learn about him more in the following chapters. 

"LIGHTS OUT EVERYONE!" Someone yells from the corridor, I put my book away and turn off my bedside lamp. The other girls to the same and I drift off into sleep. 

---

"Our first history assignment will be on the Great Wars that happened between 1666 and 1703." Announces Mr Welsh my history teacher. I had only been sitting in his class for ten minutes and I already despised him. 

"You will be all writing your own individual essay about what your God did in the war." He pauses dramatically, "for example I am a disciple of Aria which means I would find out exactly what Aria did when she took part in the Wars. Am I clear?" We all nodded our heads, "great! I have given you all textbooks so get reading! You must write at least a thousand words." 

This is why I wasn't too fond of history, too much writing. But I happily read the textbook since I was discovering more and more about Caspian. 

The Great Wars broke out because the Gods could not decide who was the most powerful, they made a deal that whoever won the War would be able to rule the elves. Caspian was a God of few words, but he had an excellent mind. He came up with lots of unique strategies and tactics to win the War. The other Gods say that after the War he was different,  he got annoyed easily, he was reserved and depressed. He left and went to live underground in a secret palace we call, HOUND. Leaving Aria to take over the elves. Caspian knew his power was dangerous, especially after the actions of his first disciple, Ethan Joon. However he did....

"Class is over! Get out!" Yells Mr Welsh. I quickly shove the textbook in my bag and exit the classroom. 

----

"Anymore burning sensations?" Asks Mr Faye as we sit alone in his classroom. 

"No, only at dinner yesterday." 

"Okay, well those will get more intense. But I read that Ethan Joon, Caspian's disciple would take showers and it would help ease the pain." 

"Okay, I'll be sure to try that next time."

"Good, still wearing the gloves?" 

I raise my gloved hands and he smiles at me. 

"Okay, let's continue. So, next small amounts of energy will be emitted from your hands. Which is why we have the gloves. I'll teach you how to control it later, but then after that you should become more drawn to the nighttime and may even disappear when you're standing in shadows."

"Yeah I know." I reply, "we just have to wait until all that actually happens! Then it will get exciting." 

"Okay okay I get it. I remember it was not so exciting for me at the beginning either." Mr Faye says chuckling. 

-----

It was a boring day to say the least, and I was just happy to be back in my dorm after dinner. I put on my pyjamas, brushed my teeth, washed my face. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and hesitated. I felt different, I don't know how but I did. Was it my attitude? Personality? Thoughts? Was it my appearance? I stare hard at myself in the mirror, the same black hair, the same grey coloured eye, same soft facial features. What had changed I wonder. 

I clamber into my bed and close my eyes, ignoring the other girls who were constantly chatting. 

I woke up again in the middle of the night, I looked at my clock. 2:23am. Great. I stand up and walk over to the window which was luckily next to my bed. I carefully open to try not to make any noise, I stare out at the forest which surrounded the academy. It was peaceful, I could hear the owls screeching in the night. 

"Hello." 

I jump at the voice and see a tall skinny man with black hair sitting on a ledge that was across my window. 

"Who the hell are you and what do you want?!" I whisper furiously, not wanting to wake up the others. 

"Calm down kid, you know who I am." He replies, smirking at me. 

My heart started to speed up, I didn't know who he was. "I don't know who you are!" 

"You do Odette, think carefully. Look at me." 

I stare into his pitch black eyes that seemed endless, his powerful aura... No, it couldn't be.

"Caspian?!" I almost yell. 

"Hello love."