Chapter 21

Jason’s POV

My head was pounding with every step my legs took.

It was six in the morning and I still hadn’t gotten any sleep because once again, the nightmares were disturbing me but this time I had to see it all since I wasn’t woken up by Hazel.

Hazel.

Ever since she had been sleeping with me, they stopped but just because she wasn’t there tonight, they haunted me and there was no way I was going back to sleep without her but I didn’t want to be a bother to her so I decided to get busy.

Five hours of exercise was definitely enough for the day so I decided to get ready for work.

Just as I was putting on my shirt, I realized something was wrong.

She wasn’t up yet and it was very unusual. She always got up by five thirty every morning.

She probably slept in.

But that had never happened, she was always early.

I decided to check up on her just for the sake of it, in case she missed her alarm or something.

I knocked on the door softly to be met with no reply and after the third time, I got worried and opened it.

The room was neat and the only thing that looked out of place was the bed, it was a big lump and for a minute I wondered what was under it until I realized it was her.

“Hazel?” I called out softly as I approached her but she didn’t answer.

She was shivering badly.

“Hazel are you okay?” I asked and placed my palm on her forehead just to pull it away.

“Shit! You’re burning up.” I told her and that was when she opened her eyes.

“We need to call the doctor or go to the hospital.” I told her.

“No doctor or hospital. Please.” She slurred.

“But you’re burning up. This isn’t normal.” I said in an alarmed state.

“I’ll be fine.” She said getting up but still shivering.

“Where do you think you’re going?” I gave her a confused stare as I pulled her back to the bed.

“To work.” She answered in a duh tone.

She still managed to be sassy while she was sick.

“You’re crazy. You’re not going anywhere till you get checked by the doctor and since you don’t want to go the the hospital, I’ll call my doctor to check you so stay.” I said to her and expected a cocky remark but for the first time, she listened to me.

As soon as I called Mirabelle who was our family doctor, she reached my place within thirty minutes and asked me to excuse them which I reluctantly did.

Mirabelle was a young doctor, one of the youngest doctors who was just too smart.

We tried dating once but it never worked out so we decided to stay friends.

“Hey.” She said interrupting me from my thoughts.

“Hey Mira. How is she? Is she gonna be okay?”

“She’s fine. It’s just a fever. I gave her some medicine to take for a week and after that, she’ll be fine. She just needs a lot of rest.”

“Thank God.” I said letting out a relieved sigh.

“You need to take it easy. I thought she was gonna die with how you called me.” She said with a small smile.