Chapter 25

I sat up and gave him a blank stare.

I wasn’t ready to speak to him after he was such a huge jerk to me and I hope he got the hint quick.

“Can I talk to you?” He asked as his deep voice pierced through the silence in the room.

“If I say no will you go away?” I asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Yes I will.” He said softly which surprised me.

“Great! No you cant talk to me, now please leave.” I said sharply.

I was such a bad ass and I gave myself an imaginary pat on the head.

I watched him as he turned and left the room.

“Wait!” My mouth said before my brain could think.

Okay!

My brain and my mouth needed to have some sort of discussion here because there seems to be an existing conflict that I wasn’t aware of.

He turned immediately and I tried not to look into his eyes but that was a total failure.

“Just talk.” I said with a loud sigh.

I knew he was a huge jerk towards me but he was grieving and different people grieved in different ways.

His was just horrible.

He approached me gently as he sat at the edge of the bed which left a huge space between us but part of me wanted him to come closer.

Forget my mouth and brain, my whole body was having a conflict and they needed to resolve before I lose it.

“I just wanted to apologize for being a jerk earlier.” He said plainly.

He wasn’t shy, or cocky or embarrassed, he was just normal and that was the weirdest thing I’ve seen since I met him.

Once again, my body moved towards his and soon enough, there was barely any space between us.

“Look Jason,” I started as I placed my hand softly on his shoulder which caused him to stiffen at first before he finally relaxed, “I care about you.”

The realization of my words hit me and the look on his face was enough to send me into panic mode.

“I mean not like I care about you like care about you because that would mean I actually like you which I don’t but it’s not like I don’t like you—”

“I think I get what you’re trying to say.” He said cutting off my mini rant with what seemed to be a grimace and I was sure my face was competing with the colour of a ripe tomato.

I gave a loud sigh before I continued and refused to think about the fact that I almost told him I had feelings for him.

I know!

We’re keeping that discussion for later.

Now back to the point.

“What I’m trying to say is that, I care about your well-being and all I wanted to do was help but it seems like you don’t like it and I guess I’m sorry for throwing it all on you like that.”

No you're not sorry! He should be the one apologizing for being a huge jerk!

My inner me reminded me but I just pushed her away.

“Look Hazel,” he said taking my hand from his shoulder and wrapping his hands around mine and I suddenly realized how much I missed him calling me that.