Chapter 1- Spirit

Chapter 1

Spirit

.:+:.

There was something fluttering down toward her, soft, slow... Some shard or section of crimson sky that seemed to have broken off, and was now getting closer.

It blotted out the light of the setting sun over her head, dazzling her slightly, and making it glow like a brand of fire against an orange backdrop... Brighter than life, almost.

For a split few seconds, she was almost entranced by it- still in her place and just watching... Before the suddenly sluggish flow of time sped up again, and she realized what she was doing- who that feather belonged to.

Shit

Her feet shifted across the pavement, ready to turn around and make a swift exit- but of course it was too late, damn it.

"Hey there~"

.:+:.

There was always so many people, even as the day drew to an end, even as the sky started to fade from blue into orange.

That's what one gets when you live in a heavily populated section of Japan. And to go with it- an elevated rate in crime, accidents, (bullshit) mayhem- you name it.

Perfect hunting ground for Pros... Though maybe sometimes she wished there were fewer of them around. Sometimes more is not merrier, but even then she couldn't complain too much- for the most part they made things safer, kept more people safe... Maybe even made her job easier.

Some days she found herself wishing there was something more challenging, other days she couldn't care less if the hours she spent on the streets were just filled with inane walking... Today was one of those days, for the most part. She was honestly too tired to really want to get into a huge fight today, but even the walking up and down street after street was quickly getting way more exhausting than it should have been.

... Mmmm... I shouldn't have agreed to work overtime... I'm falling asleep on my feet here...

She wove her way passed feet and people so, so much taller than she was at current- earning more than a few curious glances down toward her as she continued up the sidewalk and toward the next street ahead.

... The extra money is nice though... I suppose I shouldn't complain too much...

"Kitty!" A child trilled excitedly, clutching to his mothers hand and eyes glittering as her eyes met the young boy's, but she didn't stop.

"Hmm?"

"Can I pet it mommy?" The child asked hopefully,

"Oh, no honey- we shouldn't touch strays." The mother murmured quickly, casting her a somewhat nervous, somewhat faintly disgusted look- she looked away and ahead. It was no use stopping, and probably a bad idea getting too pissed off about it... People did that more often than she'd like to admit.

Not a stray lady

"-woah, hey...! Hey...!" Someone else said in a hushed voice after a few minutes, she caught the sight of a young girl (highschool maybe), pointing at her and jamming an elbow into her friend beside her. Said friend's attention snapped up from her phone, slightly annoyed.

"What?" She muttered hotly, her eyes finding where the first was gesturing toward so frantically.

"That cat! See it?!"