Chapter One: Down In Messara

Nysa dragged herself through the archway of her home. She leaned against the wall in an attempt to take the pressure off of her feet if for only just a moment. She rubbed a hand over her tired face. In the next room she heard a chorus of laughter, interrupting her from her thoughts. Sighing to herself, Nysa pushed herself away from the wall and to the opposite end of the room.

Out of habit, Nysa glanced over her shoulder before opening the small panel that had been hollowed out in the wall of their house. If you weren't aware of the exact location of this hidden panel, it would be practically invisible. Nysa took out the spare drachmae she had made from that day and hid it in the tiny cupboard. Along with drachmae the cupboard also hid the family's jewels, heirlooms, and an ancient artifact that had once belonged to her father.

Nysa found herself transfixed by the artifact. It was small and round, seemingly made from stone. She was never certain of its purpose. All her father would tell her was that she was much too young to hear such tales. Nysa always held a suspicion that her father never actually was going to tell her. Whether her father truly meant to tell her its importance was not important anymore. What was important was that, when he left for war, he made her promise to hide the disk. Without understanding the reasons, Nysa dutifully agreed.

Another loud fit of laughter snapped Nysa back into reality. She hadn't been realizing it, but she had been steadily reaching out for the artifact. It was almost as if the disk itself had been calling her toward it. Quickly she shook her head, freeing herself of such childish delusions before re-hiding the cubby and joining her family in the other room.

"Nysa, you're home late," her mother's stern voice greeted her.

"I picked up a couple of jobs here and there," she shrugged throwing her mother a nonchalant grin, "What's going on in here?"

"Nysa, we talked about this," her mother's stern frown somehow growing to become even more stern.

"Mater's telling us the story of Orpheus and Eurydice," Lamia said excitedly.

"It's so romantic," Clio finished.

Nysa frowned, "Doesn't Eurydice die?"

"That's not the point," Elissa sighed exasperatedly, "It's how far Orpheus was willing to go for his beloved."

"Apparently not too far, seeing as he couldn't manage the simple task that he had to do to get her back," Nysa snorted.

"You always have to ruin everything don't you."

"I just don't think it's all that romantic."

"Maybe you will once you've matured."

"I believe I'm older than you are."

"Maybe but not in the ways of love."

Nysa snorted again, "And what would you know about love?"

"More than you," Elissa retorted, "Because unlike you I'm actually trying to be a lady."

Nysa clenched her jaw in an attempt not to say anything. She took a deep breath and crossed her arms. Elissa didn't say anything either. She bit her lip, avoiding her sister's gaze. Both of them understood that Elissa had crossed a line.

"I'm going to bed," Nysa said quietly.

"A word, before you do," her mother beckoned her over to where she sat. Wordlessly, Nysa nodded. Her mother looked at the other girls before adding, "Alone."

Reluctantly, the other girls left the room. The house itself wasn't very big and leaving the room would merely be a formality. No doubt they would be listening in on their conversation. Knowing this, her mother beckoned her outside. Reluctantly, Nysa followed.