Chapter Twenty: Nysa's Bad Dream

When they made camp that night, Nysa was anxious to say the least. The fear that gripped her body outweighed the exhaustion. There was no way she was sleeping. Not when she could see the cliff that they were meant to be climbing tomorrow.

Nysa volunteered to take watch first, alone. It took little to no convincing Echemus to take Alexios as his partner instead, however it was not as easy vice versa. But somehow the odds had turned in her favor and Nysa sat alone next to the pile of ashes and cinders that used to be the fire. She watched the fireflies and listened to the sound that the trees made when the wind flew past its leaves.

She had never seen these many trees before. Never in her wildest dreams could she imagine why her mater would want to leave a place such as this. She certainly hadn't experienced as many bandits, charlatans, or zealots as she had back home in Messara. Normally the thought of sailing her own ship back to Macedonia along with her mater filled her with giddy excitement. Now it only seemed to dull her heart with dread at the mere thought of the ending of their adventure.

Nysa sighed to herself. She hated the thought of not knowing what she actually wanted now that she was so close to achieving it. She had the drachmae, all that was left was retrieve the staff and her pater and return home. Then she would have everything she had ever wanted. Though, why did she not beam with excitement at the thought? Her body shivered despite the stillness of the warm air.

A sudden movement shook her from feeling sorry for herself. Alexios, who preferred to sleep under the stars, began shifting wildly, his breathing quickening. Nysa stood up from where she sat at the fire and kneeled down beside him. Gently, she reached out for his arm and shook him awake.

Alexios hand reached out for her wrist, grabbing down on it. His eyes flew open in a panic as they darted around the camp. Slowly, he relaxed as he realized where he was. And then he noticed the strong grip he had on Nysa's arm and he quickly released it.

"Nysa!" he breathed, beginning to sit up "I'm sorry." He rubbed his face, attempting to calm his breathing. 

She waved her hand in an attempt to diminish his worries. "I'm sorry. You were having a bad dream, so I thought I should wake you up."

Alexios chuckled, "Thank you."

"What was it about?" she asked, tentatively. 

Alexios looked at her, before laying back down. "The Cult," his voice was tight, and he didn't look her in the eyes.

Nysa placed a soothing hand on his arm, giving a half-hearted smile. She didn't say anything, but they both were very aware of what she was doing. Alexios sighed, taking her hand in his. He traced lazy patterns over the back of her hand, avoiding her eyes.

"I suppose I'll never be truly free of them," he spat, "They're like the plague."

"Maybe you'll be surprised," Nysa shook her head, "We can face them together." She squeezed his hand reassuringly.

"They won't fall so easily. I should know, they did raise me after all. Everything I am, is because of them," he chuckled without humor.  Alexios looked up at her, his eyes glassy. It was one of the few times since she had known him that he looked at her with uncertainty.

Again, Nysa shook her head, finally understanding what was truly bothering him. She sat down beside Alexios, taking his face in her free hand. He leaned into her touch, closing his eyes momentarily. "Listen to me, Alexios, you are not the man they made you. You are so much kinder than that, so much stronger, so much braver. Who I saw in those visions was not you, not anymore."