Chapter Four: Fairy Tale

"Nysa!" her mother hissed, "Just what do you think you're doing?"

"Mater, I already lost pater's boat. I can't lose this too. I can't let him down like that."

"He'd want you to be safe, not risking your life for something like this."

"He asked me specifically to keep it safe and I made a promise I would."

"Nysa," Elissa cut in, "You don't even have enough drachmae to pay for pater's boat, how are you going to pay the misthios?"

Nysa frowned, "I'll make it work. Maybe that thief will lead me to his lair and I can find treasure like you're always talking about in your stories."

"Why can't you just leave it alone, Nysa?"

"Pater told me that it was important I hide the disk from anyone that may want to take the disk. He told me to hide it in there and never tell anyone about it and now it's gone."

"A stupid heirloom isn't worth your life," her mater begged.

"I'm coming back, mater, I promise."

"Nysa."

Nysa ignored her mater, despite how much pain it caused her. She turned to her sister, "Elissa, you'll have to look out for everyone while I'm gone. Understand?"

Elissa didn't answer. She rushed forward, enveloping her sister in her arms. Nysa chuckled and wrapped her arms around her sister. They held tightly to one another, refusing to believer that this was the last time they would see one another.

"Please be careful, Nysa," Elissa whispered, and then she pulled back with a half-smile, "And don't do anything I wouldn't do."

"There's nothing you wouldn't do."

"I know. And you should especially remember that while you're travelling around with him."

"Thanks Elissa," Nysa responded dryly.

"I mean, can you imagine? He looks like he's been sculpted by the gods themselves and not to mention that he is the Eagle-Bearer."

"Yes, thank you, Elissa."

"Here," her mother caught her attention, holding out a bag for her, "If you're going to go then I believe you'll be needing this."

"Thank you, mater," Nysa smiled, enveloping her mother in a hug.

After they broke away, Nysa could see the tears that threatened to spill out from her mother's eyes. She pretended not to notice for her mother's sake. Her mother placed a hand on her cheek and nodded.

"Go, now. You shouldn't keep the misthios waiting. I love you."

"I love you too. I promise I'll be back before you know it." Her mater nodded, but it was obvious that she didn't quite believe what Nysa was saying.

And before she lost her courage, Nysa walked out the front door. She took a deep breath to compose herself before joining Alexios further down the path. She stood beside him, looking out over the plains.

"I don't mean to be picky," Nysa sighed, "but how are we meant to find this man?"

"I have my ways," he assured her.

"You could just say that you don't have a plan."

"I always have a plan. You ready?"

"Of course."

Alexios led the way with Nysa trailing behind. The sun was beginning to set, and Nysa felt uneasy. Perhaps following an unknown misthios was not the wisest decision. Still, he was her best and only hope at recovering what she had lost. Not to mention it offered her the opportunity to gain enough drachmae to reclaim what she had lost.