Chapter Fourteen: My Beautiful Evadne

When they got to the road, there were three horses awaiting them. Rhesus shared one with Evadne sitting behind him. Echemus sat on top of one. The third was empty, awaiting a rider.

            "You're going to share a horse with Echemus?" Nysa asked.

            "I figured Echemus would hold all of the supplies and we would share a horse," Alexios explained.

            "Why not just get four horses?"

            "You think I am made of drachmae?" Alexios hopped onto his horse, "Now give the supplies to Echemus."

            Nysa, reluctantly, handed over the supplies to Echemus. She helped him secure the packs. Out of the corner of her eyes she noticed how Rhesus and Evadne were sitting. Evadne's arms were wrapped firmly around an intensely blushing Rhesus. It was an intimate seating arrangement.

When she returned to Alexios, she had trouble getting up onto the horse. Alexios climbed back down to help her up. She shifted forward on the horse, leaving Alexios room to sit behind her. At least, she figured, she wouldn't have to drape her arms around him like some lovelorn damsel. His arms wrapped around them so that he could grab the reigns. She turned back to face him, glaring accusingly.

"What are you doing?" she frowned.

"I'm taking the reins."

"But I'm in front."

"I did not realize you knew how to get to Megaris," he teased. Nysa, becoming increasingly flustered at their proximity, turned around in her seat to face forward.

"Fine, I suppose," she said, staring at the ground. Alexios chuckled, his breathy laughter tickling the back of her neck. This only served to make her even more flustered.

Alexios urged the horse forward. The warm, coastal, wind caressed Nysa's face as they went faster and faster. All she could hear was the wind and the pounding of the horse's feet as they flew. She had never ridden this fast before. She had never felt this free before.

A smile bubbled up to her lips as they rode along. She glanced behind her at Alexios who was also smiling. It was far too loud for them to communicate to each other, but they both understood.

The group stopped a few hours later, as the sun was setting. Alexios informed them they weren't too far from the city and would reach it before noon tomorrow. Nysa was thankful that he had stopped. The fast riding may have been fun at first, but slowly she started to develop aches and pains she never would have fathomed.

Alexios slipped off the horse first. He helped Nysa down, firm hands on her waist, and picking her up as though she weighed nothing. Rhesus walked up to them, wringing his hands nervously. Echemus followed closely behind.

"What's going on?" Alexios asked.

"Where's Evadne?" Nysa asked.

"She offered to make camp," Rhesus said, "But I have something I need to ask you three."

"Go on?"

"I want to ask Evadne something, but I need to set the right mood," Rhesus looked at his sandals as he said this. His feet twisted into the ground.

"Like what?" Echemus asked.

"Well, I want you to play some music and Nysa could cook a nice meal," Rhesus suggested.

Nysa understood. He was going to act on their discussion of the market. Nysa couldn't imagine how this could possibly turn out in his favor, but she noticed the excited energy he seemed to be bouncing with.