Chapter Fifteen: The Ferryman

The guard quickly began alerting the others of their presence. A loud piercing shout echoed throughout the estate. A few of the guards spotted them right away, informing the others of their location.

"What now?" Nysa asked impatiently. So far all they had was running across the roof in an attempt to escape. However, they were running out of roof and the guards were climbing up in hopes of reaching them. Alexios made a noise, that was none too encouraging.

"I'm working on it," he informed her.

Nysa grit her teeth with annoyance. Instead she took it upon herself to come up with a plan. However, things were all moving too fast for her to come up with anything. All she could really think about was whether or not she was going to make it out of here alive.

"Follow me," Alexios said suddenly veering off the path. Nysa, not having much of a choice, followed him. And in good time too as the guards had started firing arrows at them. Nysa veered just in time to avoid getting hit by one.

Alexios had managed to find a ledge that was close enough to the building that he could jump onto without much trouble. How he managed to find this while running away from their attackers baffled Nysa. Begrudgingly, she had to admit that she was impressed.

Once they were no longer on the roof they made for the trees. It would be easier to lose their enemies among them. Alexios let out a loud whistle just as they reached the edge of the forest, signaling to Echemus, Rhesus, and Evadne that they had reached relative safety.

They ran further in, only stopping once they could no longer hear the sounds of pursuit coming from behind them. Alexios dropped the unconscious man from over his shoulder onto the ground unceremoniously. Nysa winced as he hit the ground. Alexios seemed to have payed it no mind and was now stretching.

"Maybe I should have thought that one through," he sighed, sitting down and starting a fire. Nysa peered through the trees and listened. She prayed to Artemis that she would hide them in the woods and keep them safe. After a few moments and seeing nothing she was satisfied.

"Maybe?" she accused, unable to contain her laughter. Alexios laughed too. In that moment they completely forgot that they were meant to be hiding from men that most likely wanted to kill them. They also forgot about the man they had accidentally kidnapped.

That is, until the man started to stir. Upon seeing his movement, they both quieted instantly. The man sat up, cradling his head. His eyes moved slowly around the clearing, his eyebrows knit in confusion.

"Where—"

"Listen," Alexios barked. His voice had changed as he said this than from the way he talked to Nysa. Frankly, it was a little unsettling. "We have a few questions we need to ask you and if you answer them we'll let you go. Got it?"

The man nodded shakily, his eyes locked on Alexios.

"My sources say you've been in some contact recently with a group called the Cult of Kosmos," Alexios began, "Perhaps they came to you with a specific artifact?"

"I-I inspect things for a lot of people. Most of them anonymous," the man answered shakily.

"Don't play games with me," Alexios insisted sharply.

"It would have been a round disk," Nysa interrupted, "With little engravings."

The man paused and bit his lip. The way he looked between the both of them it seemed as though he were calculating something. "I'm sorry, I'm not sure I know what you're talking about."