Chapter Twenty-Four: Never Knew I Needed

Back in the village, Nysa wasted no time ushering him to the little house that sat on a hill. It was dusk, the sun was setting. Warm lights poured from the window, illuminating the single tree that grew outside. A lone figure stood at the door, gazing solemnly in the direction of the sea.

"Mater!" Nysa called out delightedly. An excited giggle bubbled up and tumbled through her lips. The figure turned around and smiled at her. Glistening tears threatened to spill from her eyes.

            "Nysa," she gasped, opening her arms wide, "You've returned."

            Nysa rushed forward into her mater's arms. Their arms wrapped around one another, holding tightly onto one another. Nysa buried her face in her mother's shoulders. Both of them let out breathless laughs in between relieved sobs.

They pulled away. Her mother held Nysa's face in her hands, wiping away her tears. Nysa held onto her mother's arms, closing her eyes and soaking in the sensation of having her family again.

"I've been so worried about you. You've been gone such a long time," she whispered.

Nysa pulled her mother's hands from her face and held them in own. Fresh tears streaked down Nysa's face. She choked out a response, "I know. I've missed you all so much."

Her mater's gaze flicked over Nysa's shoulders, finally registering Alexios' presence. Quickly, she sobered herself and put on a professional air. She nodded and spoke in his direction, "You've brought her home safely. I can't thank you enough."

            "It was my pleasure," he nodded, matching his mother's tone. His voice was tight with professionalism that hardly suited him.

            "I'm afraid I don't have your payment ready but if—" She sighed, her lips forming a tight line. Her hands balled the fabric of her dress nervously.

            Alexios shook his head, "There's no need."

            "But I—"

            "We," Nysa interrupted her, placing a hand on her mater's shoulder, "have a lot to discuss."

            Her mater nodded slowly, "Will you be joining us for dinner, misthios?"

            "He will be," Nysa responded, quickly. She ushered her mater inside before she could get any ideas.

The dinner table was already set. The air in the house was filled with the scent of her mater's home cooking. Nysa's heart felt so full it could burst.

            Elissa had just finished setting the table and was the first to see her sister. Thus ensued even more hugging and crying. Instead of using words to communicate their joy, they would break away from the hug to grin widely at each other through tear-filled vision before returning to the embrace.

When words returned to their mouths, Elissa was the first to speak, "Maia from the village owes me drachmae!"

            Nysa laughed, shaking her head, "How much?" She was hardly surprised.

            "Enough for a new dress," Elissa beamed proudly.

            "Elissa!" their mater scolded, "I told you there was to be no gambling on the health of your sister." Despite her attempts at putting on a stern glare, their mother could hardly wipe the smile off her face.

            "I think it was brilliant," Nysa shrugged. The girls snickered amongst each other as their mater threw her head in her hands exasperatedly.