Chapter Twenty-Three: This is Gonna Be Good

Nysa woke up the next morning, feeling the best she had since leaving home. Looking around, she realized they had all fallen asleep in the places they were sitting in last night. Someone during the night had draped blankets over their sleeping forms.

            Alexios slept soundly beside her. One of his arms was wrapped lazily around her. His chest rose and fell in peaceful slumber. Rather than wake him up she settled back down, laying her head back on his chest. Apollo's rays hadn't yet penetrated the sky and therefore she had a few more hours of rest to look forward too.

Nysa woke up a second time, hours later. Alexios was gently trying to get up. Seeing her stir awake, Alexios paused. Nysa sat up and rubbed her eyes. Alexios grinned sheepishly at her.

            "I didn't mean to wake you."

            "That's alright, I was already up," she assured him. He smiled at her, pushing a hair behind her ear. His hand lingered on her face, his thumb stroking her cheek affectionately.

            Echemus snored loudly. They exchanged a surprised glance before dissolving into a fit of laughter. They tried their best to stifle it, but it was no use. Soon, the entire group was awake. Nysa and Alexios did their best to write the blame off on a bird and for the most part, everyone had believed it.

            Nysa helped Alexios return all the blankets to the house, folding them up nicely. When she left to freshen up, Myrrine stopped her and produced a dress for her to wear. Nysa gasped in surprise, it was the finest material she had ever seen. It was probably more expensive than all the clothes she had ever owned, combined. She shook her head.

            "I can't accept this," Nysa shook her head, afraid to even touch it, "It's too much."

            "Nonsense," Myrrine chuckled, "I had been given it as a gift and I have no excuse to wear it."

            "I don't either, I'm just going to the market today."

            "You should always strive to look your best," she said, her eyes twinkling the same way Alexios' did when he had a troublesome idea, "Besides, a fresh change of clothes is always welcome." Sighing inwardly, Nysa nodded. Gingerly, she accepted the dress.

            "Alright, I appreciate this."

            Myrrine smiled thoughtfully as she watched Nysa leave to go put on the dress. After a moment, she nodded before returning to her daily duties.

            When Nysa put on the dress she had never felt more beautiful, daintier. Sure, the armor she had been wearing over the past few weeks had been fine and made her feel strong, but it pinched her skin and offered no comfort. This dress flowed beautifully and was nothing but comfortable.

            Nysa met Alexios back outside, trying to be extra careful that the dirt floor didn't brush up against her dress. A futile task, but one she undertook nevertheless. Her goal was to return this dress to Myrrine in perfect condition.

            "Nysa," Alexios breathed as she closed the door behind her. His eyes were transfixed on her, his lips parted. Nysa brushed at the dress self-consciously.

"I know it's a bit much," she chuckled, "but your mater, she insisted."

"I think you look beautiful," he said, breathlessly. Nysa smiled, suddenly feeling more comfortable in the dress.

"Thank you."

He watched her, smiling fondly. Their gazes met, and they stood there, gazing into each other's eyes. It was as if Aphrodite herself had cast a spell on them.