Chapter Twelve: Blue Skies and Sunshine

Nysa woke up with the sun. She stretched slowly awake, forgetting that this morning would be different from every other morning. As she was rubbing the sleep from her eyes, she remembered. Today she was leaving the island that she had been trapped on her entire life. With renewed vigor, Nysa rolled out of the pile of blankets and pillows she had fallen asleep in.

She climbed back down into the house, trying to quietly put the blankets away. Her mother was already awake and waiting for her in the kitchen. Nysa rushed over to pull her mother into a tight embrace. Her mother squeezed back just as tightly. She sniffled, squeezing her daughter even tighter.

When they pulled away, her mother did her best not to allow Nysa know she had been crying. Taking a shuddering breath, her mother turned away to take a satchel off from the cabinet. She handed Nysa the bag who examined the contents of the bag.

"I thought I might pack you with some things you might need," her mother said.

"Thank you, mater," Nysa smiled.

"You should hurry and get going. Your friends are already waiting for you," her mother encouraged her with a bittersweet smile.

"But I wanted to say goodbye to—"

Her mother cut her off abruptly, "Perhaps it is better if you don't."

Nysa nodded solemnly, "Alright."

"Please be careful, dear," her mother sighed, "I love you."

"I will," Nysa smiled in an attempt to be reassuring. Her mother's mouth set into a grim line, her eyebrows furrowing. Nysa sighed, hugging her mother again. "I love you too."

Nysa's mother smiled softly at her before letting out another shaky breath to gather her courage. With great reluctance from her mother, Nysa was ushered out the door. They exchanged another round of hugs before saying goodbye one last time. Her mother disappeared back into the house, leaving Nysa outside.

Steeling herself, Nysa inhaled sharply, and turned around. Alexios, Exhemus, and Rhesus were waiting for her. They watched her expectantly as she approached.

"You ready to go?" Alexios asked. Though the look he gave her conveyed his true question, was she sure she was ready to leave her family behind? She took a shaky breath, before nodding her head in hesitant agreement.

The four of them began walking toward the ports in the next town over. Nysa couldn't help but throw one last glance at her little house on the hill. It was all she had ever known, and she couldn't be sure that she would ever see it again. As her mind filled with doubt, her pace slowed. For a moment she wondered if she might turn back and let Alexios handle the Cult after all.

"I cannot believe that you are the captain of the Adrestia!" Echemus exclaimed in amazement. And that was all Nysa needed to take her mind off her doubts. She picked up her pace once again to catch up with her friends.

"The captain?" Nysa looked accusingly at him. Even the limited gossip that made it to the isolated island of Messara spoke of the mighty eagle-bearer and their even mightier ship, the Adrestia.

"Alright," Alexios sighed, "So maybe it is not my ship."

"who does it belong to then?" Rhesus frowned.

"You'll see soon enough," he grumbled in response.

As they approached the port, a breeze came in from the ocean filling the breeze with the sweet smell of salt air. Nysa inhaled deeply and any remaining doubts of leaving home abandoned her. She stopped, admiring the ships that were docked. Alexios stopped her to point out the Adrestia as soon as they were in view of it. She had to admit, it was definitely something to marvel at.