Chapter Thirteen: Love Always Finds A Way

Eventually, they followed him to a temple. Who it was dedicated to, Nysa couldn't tell. Not that she was paying any attention. It was here that Rhesus stopped. He paused in the courtyard, as though he were looking around for someone. Silently as they could, they took cover behind the pillars of the temple and watched him.

"What is he doing?" Nysa asked, motioning for Echemus to peer around the pillar.

"Why do I have to do it?" Echemus frowned. She glared at him. Taking a deep, sighing, breath, he quickly poked his head around the pillar before returning. Nysa looked at him expectantly.

"I did not see anything, that was too fast."

Nysa rolled her eyes. She motioned that she would do it instead. If she wanted a job done right, she was going to have to do it herself. Slowly, steadily, she peered out from behind the column. However, the spot where Rhesus had been standing earlier was empty. A quick sweep of the area with her eyes showed that he had disappeared entirely.

"Where did he—"

"What are you two doing here?"

Nysa and Echemus startled, both yelling in fright. When Nysa turned around, she realized that it was only a slightly annoyed Rhesus asking them the question. Heart still hammering in her chest, she attempted to calm herself.

"The same could be said for you," she accused.

"We were spying on you to see where you were going," Echemus said at the same time she spoke.

"Echemus!"

"I'm sorry, I just don't like the face he's giving."

"But you didn't have to admit that we were spying."

"That's what we were doing, weren't we?"

"Well yes, but we do not have to—"

Rhesus rushed forward, clamping a hand on both of their mouths, "Keep it down you two, or she'll see us."

"So, we were not the only ones spying," Echemus muffled voice taunted.

"She?" Nysa frowned.

Rhesus nodded toward someone behind them. Nysa peered out from behind the column. Only one woman stood in the courtyard. She was shockingly familiar.

A name slipped through Nysa's lips, "Evadne?" The woman looked up at the mention of her name.

"Nysa?" the girl frowned, approaching them.

"Now you've done it," Rhesus grumbled under his breath.

"What are you doing here?" Evadne asked, joining the group.

"We tracked down what I'm looking for here. What about you?"

"I had a vision that my time in Messara was up and that I was to come here, and I think I just figured out why," the girl smiled slyly.

"Right," Nysa nodded politely through a strained smile.

"Aren't you going to introduce me to your friends?" Evadne asked.

"Oh, of course, this is Echemus and—"

"My name is Rhesus, but you can call me Rhys," he said, pushing Nysa aside.

"Wait," Evadne smiled coyly, "I feel like I've seen you before."

"I-I don't think, I mean I don't—I-I," Rhesus stammered.

"Yes, you're Zylena's brother, aren't you?"

"I-I am."

"Yeah, we three were friends as children, yes?" Evadne prodded, "Before I was sent away to become an oracle."