Chapter Nine: Dig a Little Deeper

Nysa gasped in amazement, she had never been in a town quite so large. Merchants stood at their stalls, shouting out to get the attention of the people that bustled through the town. Soldiers marched through the town, watching the citizens closely.

"We should go ahead and scope out the building this deal is taking place in," Alexios suggested.

"Yes, that sounds right," Nysa nodded, completely overwhelmed by the atmosphere.

Alexios took the lead, bringing them up to the highest hill of the city. Atop that hill sat a grand estate. Much grander than Kallikles' home was. Nysa never realized that a house could be quite this big. It seemed excessive beyond the point of usefulness.

"Is this it?" Rhesus asked, eyeing the house.

"Yes, I think so," Alexios nodded.

"What do we do now?" Echemus frowned.

"We split up," Alexios said, "Look for weaknesses in the building, a way for me to get in and out undetected."

"Us," Nysa corrected.

"No, just me," Alexios frowned, "I'm the only one that knows how to handle this situation."

"What they stole is mine," she demanded, "and I'm going to be there when we face who stole it."

"Nysa, it's not a good idea."

"We'll just see what happens when the time comes," Rhesus interjected.

"Of course," Alexios nodded, grinding his teeth together. Reluctantly, Nysa nodded her head in agreement. Rhesus smiled, happy to be able to divert the conflict.

"We can meet back up here in an hour," Nysa suggested, "I can ask the locals if they know anything that might help."

"And I'll try to find my way around the building. Echemus, Rhesus, you two know what you want to do?"

"Oh yes," Echemus nodded.

"Great, let's move out," Alexios instructed.

The four of them all went in separate directions. Nysa went back into town, trying to get her bearings. She looked around for someone to ask, but the problem was that there were far too many people. As she searched the crowd, she wasn't really paying attention to where she was going. Nysa bumped into another person.

"I'm so sorry!" she gasped, her eyes landing on the girl she had bumped into.

"It's alright, I wasn't looking where I was going," she laughed. The girl looked Nysa up and down, smiling.

"It's lucky that I bumped into you, actually," Nysa began. The girl nodded, almost knowingly.

"It is?" She asked, mock surprise lining her features.

"You don't happen to know anything—"

"About the house on the hill," the woman finished for her.

"I-yes-exactly. How did you know—"

The woman smiled but cut her off with a wave of her hand, "A lucky guess."

"Do you, though," Nysa prompted her.

"Well, actually, I—," the woman stopped suddenly as a guard brushed past them. The guard seemed to watch them carefully as he moved past. The woman paled.

There were a few moments of tense silence ever after the guard had disappeared from sight.

The woman glanced over her shoulder, a smile still plastered on my face, "You by chance wouldn't want your fortune told would you?"