Chapter Two: Almost There

As Nysa got into the tavern, she immediately set to work. Plastering on a fake smile, she moved around the establishment, pouring drinks. The tavern was a frequent stopping place for locals and those the tourists that came to Messara alike. However, it attracted as many undesirables as it did normal, hard-working, people. But she was nice to them all the same. No matter how many times she was hit on, grabbed at, or ogled she would grin charmingly at them all the same. She had to if she wanted to make enough drachmae to make the job worthwhile.

            If there was one thing Nysa knew for certain is that men were willing to throw their money at any girl if she only pays them any attention. It was a dangerous game, as the men could get one too many ideas, but Nysa was more than capable of protecting herself should the occasion arise. Which it had. It was a tiring dance of constant flirting and pushing the men away as they got too close.

            She sighed and put her head in her hands as she finally got a moment to herself. She wiped her brow of sweat and mentally prepared herself to return to work. Behind her, a man cleared her throat. Sooner than she had liked, she was thrust back into the mentality required for her job. The easy smile once again graced her lips. She turned to face the man behind her.

            "Can I help you?" she crooned.

            "I'm looking for a man named Kallikles."

            Nysa relaxed once she realized that he was not here for her, "He's not here right now. He's always here later in the evening though if you're willing to wait."

            "Not like I have anything better to do," the man grumbled.

            "Great, I'll get you a glass."

            Nysa sped off and returned moments later with a drink in hand. She handed it to him with practiced ease.

            He took the glass from her hands, flashing her a charming smile.

            "Maybe you could take a break and—"

            Nysa cut him off with a wave of her hand, "I have to work. If you need anything else just ask me or any one of the other girls."

            Nysa rolled her eyes as she walked away. This man wouldn't be different than all the others that walked into this building. Pushing her irritation aside, and the exhaustion, Nysa went back to work.

             The  man had already moved onto the next woman. Only this girl was obviously charmed by him than Nysa had been. The man seemed to be basking in the attention. Nysa paid them no mind as she continued with her duties, serving the other customers of the tavern.

            Soon, the crowd was beginning to die down as everyone started to leave for their homes. She figured she would take a break from work to collect Kora from town. Without meaning to, she glanced out over the room. There was no sign of the man she had talked to earlier.

Before leaving, she collected her payment from the owner. It was not much, but it was more than she had earned all day. It was a relief to have earned at least something today.

            As she walked out, she figured that it was close to getting dark soon. She hurried back to Kora's house to gather the carriage. Only she found that the carriage wasn't there. Her heart sank. How was she to fetch the woman without the use of her carriage? What would Kora say when she realized that her carriage had been stolen under Nysa's watch? Nysa didn't have the money to pay for a new one, she barely had the money to afford the rent.

            Panic had begun to seize Nysa as she tried to figure out what she should do. She was snapped back into the real world when a carriage pulled up beside her. It was Kora's carriage to be exact. Which she only knew for certain because Kora was the one riding in it along with the stranger from the tavern earlier that afternoon.