Chapter Three: I Know This Story

Oddly enough, even in the morning her mother didn't chastise her for coming home so late. Neither did her mother ask the reason. Nysa was curious but decided that it must be a gift from the gods. It only really started to bother her as her mother's demeanor continued. For an entire week her mother basically left Nysa to do as she wished. She hadn't done that since before her pater had left for war.

Nysa might have looked into it if that had been the only thing that was bothering her that week. The misthios continued to stay for the week. And now, with Kallikles paying the misthios to take her jobs, Nysa would have to find a way to work even harder if she wanted to keep her boat. She was thankful, however, that since that night she hadn't seen Kallikles or the misthios.

"Is something the matter?" Elissa paused from pinning up her sister's hair. Nysa composed herself and smiled.

"I'm fine," she nodded.

"No, you're not," Elissa continued fixing Nysa's hair, "You're wringing your hands, like pater always did when he was worried."

Nysa laughed, "A bad habit I picked up I suppose. I'd just rather be working tonight is all."

Elissa laughed this time, "You always would be rather working. You should have some fun once and a while."

"You speak as though this party will be any fun. I never have fun at parties."

"Well of course you won't if you go in with that attitude," she chuckled before backing away to take in her work, "There, you would make Aphrodite jealous."

Nysa rolled her eyes and stood up to smooth out her dress, "You're just trying to be nice to me so that I'll come to these parties in the future."

Elissa shrugged and giggled, "I never could get anything past you, sister. Now before you leave you should say a prayer to Aphrodite for good luck tonight."

"You can't be serious."

"I am, I hear there's a new misthios in town," Elissa giggled, "I hear he's very handsome and mysterious. And I've heard rumors that he's the Eagle-Bearer."

"Athena grant me strength," Nysa sighed, under her breath.

"Must you always be so dramatic, you hardly even know him."

"I know enough to realize he is the worst man I've ever had the displeasure of meeting."

"You give him too much credit," Elissa snickered, "You might actually like him once you get to know him."

Without waiting for her sister, she left the room. Much to her surprise, Lamia and Clio would be joining them. Nysa never felt comfortable taking them to parties accounting for how young they were, but her mother insisted they were never too young to begin making connections.

The party, when they got there, was in full swing. Drinks were being served to the guests and men and women seemed to be enjoying themselves. Nysa instantly wished she were at home, or better yet doing some menial task. Frankly, she didn't care what she was doing as long as it was away from here.

She glanced around the room. So far there was no sign of him, but that didn't mean he wouldn't show up later. It just meant that she would have to keep her guard up. She looked around for her sisters only to find that they had already abandoned her.

Lamia and Clio were entertaining two young boys, giggling playfully. Elissa already had a group of men surrounding her. Nysa wasn't sure how she did it, but wherever Elissa went she always attracted the attention. Nysa sighed and picked up some wine, drinking it down quickly.