Chapter 14

Thump.

The body of the Warlock collided with the wooden floor, Vincent looked slightly taken back, exchanging worried glances with Lolita's parents. Damien himself was left speechless. Judging from Steph's expression, this sight was a rarity from his usual composed authoritative Alpha.

After what felt like an eternity, he was the first to break the reticence. "Your compliance is greatly appreciated" signalling towards Steph, he sent the Beta to carry the imperishable body aside. "Isaac, help him would you?"

Isaac's malachite eyes flashed towards Steph whom slung the body effortlessly over his broad shoulders. Mumbling discontent under his breath, he opened the door for the Lycan, gripping on the handle until his knuckles turned white. The pair reluctantly departed, Isaac making sure to harshly shut the door.

"No. You will do as I say." The king spoke, no doubt influenced by Vincent. "It is not fit for you to leave, when you're to be engaged to Vincent, leaving the palace with another man is not proper."

A low growl sounded from the provoked Alpha. "Without my protection, there will be no palace, asking for your daughter to come with me in return is a reasonable price considering-"

"Considering we ought to be married soon, I will protect her." Vincent enveloped Lolita in his arms causing the petite girl to grow rather uncomfortable, she watched her mate's jaw clench and unclench as he forced his wolf aside. Knowing the hell bent rage the he would inflict if the seething wolf became untameable, the brunette struggled out of the muscular arms and away from the now frowning man.

"I'm sorry Vincent but I cannot marry you. I have lived all my life at the will of my father, obeying his every command. But this is too much for me, you're truly a wonderful gentleman and although the rational side of myself is telling me to marry you. I can't for my soul nor wolf will ever forgive me. As selfish as this may be, I refuse your proposal, for every nerve in my body is simply begging me to act for myself."

Both Lolita's parents bore startled expressions. Never had anyone dared to defy the King. Lolita's heartfelt speech took them by extreme surprise, the king had practically jumped from his skin, his wife sharing a similar reaction.

"My dear Lo" The Queen spoke, her tone laced with the fear of loosing her only daughter. "You don't have to marry anyone if you're not ready." Her eyes began watering as she was on the brink of begging. "Just stay with us, please. Whatever false promises the devil has made you are far from the reality for he only acts in the interest of himself. He will only use you, heaven knows what he will do."

Lolita stood paralysed for she felt her mate's pain at these words, her heart throbbed as she saw his glistening blue orbs drop. "Perhaps you should stay" Before he could continue, Lolita had reached his side, intertwining their fingers she squeezed his hand, shooting him a warm reassuring smile.

"I have been raised to fight for what I believe in, and I believe in him."

"He will crush you like a sparrows egg."

"If that's the fate the Moon Goddess has in store for me, so be it."

Now it was Damien's turn to return the gesture, his slight pressure of his warm hand supplied Lolita with all the reassurance she needed. "You, father yourself stated that if I find my mate tonight, it is he who I will be with."

"So you see, the company of your daughter seems to be a reasonable ask." Damien added shrugging his shoulders before folding his bulging arms.

Lolita missed the warmth of his hand, slightly hurt that he had shifted away from her, she composed herself and remained level headed. After all, this was progress for reserved Alpha, he had momentarily broken his imperturbable temperament multiple times tonight.