Chapter 54

"How interesting" A cracked voice sounded. "You've died in many excruciating forms but this was by far my favourite, I felt nothing but helplessness, Damien. Your helplessness"

A wicked grin stretched across the grim reaper's permanently sullen face as he edged closer towards his jittery son. "Just like old times aye" He proclaimed proudly.

A nerve snapped within Damien as he reached out for the speaker's throat, aggressively wrapping his hand around the fragile neck like a serpent suffocating its prey, his darkening pupils coated in malice.

"Your terrified, aren't you" The speaker chocked out seemingly unfazed at the Alpha's act of violence.

The grip Damien displayed loosened. "I have no reason to be" He muttered calmly before completely letting go, dropping the limp figure to the ground.

"Oh but you do. More than you know, actually" The skeleton-like man taunted brushing his lethargic figure off. "Tonight you've witnessed an inkling of the capacity of power your precious mate carries. Her mere frustration killed you" He began laughing to himself in utter insanity.

"And?" Damien spat, on edge that the lunatic had the audacity to mention his mate.

"And?" His father repeated as if it was the most funniest thing he had ever heard. "The Gods hate you, after all, you do posses a dangerous amount of power, why would they grace you with a mate? You're a threat" He spat the last sentence out like venom pleased with the impact this carried as a flicker of hurt reflected from his companion's face. "And such an unusual mate too, she's already proven to be a weakness t-"

"What're you implying?" Damien snapped irritably, fuelling the reaper.

"It's perfect isn't it" His father mumbled more to himself. "The vampire, the war, her abilities. They've patiently given this meticulous thought" He chuckled causing Damien's hand to increasingly itch, missing the grip he had on the ghoul's throat.

"Who?" He demanded with malice. His previous demeanour evaporating from the rage burning in his now fiery eyes, his aura alone enough to drop a living being into their grave. However, this had little impact on the soul harvesting creature before him with the exception of a shiver which tingled his spine.

"I see you haven't lost your touch" He croaked, before the Alpha's fist could connect to his face, the aged brute raised his palm, releasing an unworldly light which began encompassing Damien. "Foolish boy. You may not understand the limitless potential of your powers but it takes no divine omniscience to know your connection to this mate is evidently your greatest vulnerability, they'll take advantage of that, son. She'll take advantage of that"

~~

"You're alive" Lolita replied, nuzzling further into Damien's chest.

"I-i am" Damien stuttered, the impact of his father's words clung onto him like a shield leaving him on edge as his potential killer snuggled into him. In this moment Damien knew the prophecy regarding 3 wolves was far from true, there were but two. He, the dangerously all powerful, immortal, limitless Alpha. And her, the sweet little creature who had stolen his heart.

She was designed for this, the bond, their connection, all fated to play a hand in his downfall.

His arms instinctively tightened around her frame as his mind screamed the logical thing to do. His body became distant as he fell into an inner turmoil, his soul aching with despair.

"Damien?" The sweet voice of his mate tugged his heart strings, suddenly the uncontrollable reaction his body carried towards the beautiful girl caused a bitter taste to form in his mouth. Brushing this away, he did the best he could to conceal this from her.

"Yes?" The blank expression which met Lolita carried a contrasting effect.

"What happened?" She wearily asked, removing herself from Damien. He sighed as the absence of her warmth attracted more overly suspicious thoughts, all sanity rising above him.

"It doesn't matter" He retorted flinching when a slither of hurt appeared on Lolita's face. His father was right, Damien had always suspected this hence his hesitancy to truly open up to his mate. But now it was too late. Nothing could be said or done to alter the course of his fate, his undeniable attraction towards this petite girl had set this in stone.

He sighed wrapping his arms around her figure, Lolita relaxed holding onto the Alpha in a manner which had Damien questioning if she ever ought to let go. He chuckled slightly upon realising that she too was a stranger to her fate, it was not her intention to hurt him, he would've felt that through their mate bond. Had his father lied? It would not have been the first time.

Yet some truth in his words were evident. Lolita was most indefinitely his only weakness. She was his mate. The Gods did despise him. But to deduce such a rash assertion from these premises was something Damien refused to do, his highly trained nature demanded better. He would not act impulsively on empty statements but simply prepare for the worse. However, a small part of him was frightened at his own cool and collected outlook of this, if he had been told it was Lolita's life at stake, he recognised that his reaction would not be the same from the grumbling which raised in his chest at the mere thought.

He truly valued her life above his own.

Even now his mind only drifted to the impact his death would have on Lolita and the harm inflicted onto her after this. Be it by the Gods, by his Beta, or even by herself. The silence soon became unbearable.

Planting a small kiss on Lolita's head, he mumbled an almost incoherent "I love you"

"I love you too" His mate truthfully responded dissolving all of Damien's doubts. He was not utterly hopeless.

He was the Alpha of darkness. Fate and destiny had no power over him, these were simple concepts he would usually laugh at.

But they now lingered in his mind, mocking him. Reminding him that he was never really as powerful as the Gods. He may posses all their qualities but that did not mean he had access of them. These divinities carried years of experience and wisdom above him, they could easily cocoon a plan of his demise.

Damien's features hardened from his conflicting thoughts, although the course of his life remained unclear, one thing remained certain, it was carved into Damien's mind, it fuelled his every action, leaked into his every scheme and provided the oxygen for his every breath. As long as he lived, he would not let a hair on Lolita's head reach harm.