Chapter 53

"Close your eyes" A humoured voice reasoned. "Picture your wolf"

"I can't picture my wolf if I have never met her, Damien" An irritable Lolita scolded. "This is hopeless" Her petite figure sunk to the ground. "You were right, let's just go back to sleep, it's been more than an hour"

Damien crouched down to Lolita's level, a small smile creeping across his lips. "No it's not" He began undoing the buttons of his shirt.

"What're you doing?" Lolita fired, jerking her line of vision elsewhere. She could practically feel Damien's smirk baring into the back of her head.

"Shifting" He replied indifferently. "Perhaps my wolf can help" The crackling off bones sounded causing Lolita to steer her attention towards the transforming figure, through each crack his autonomy began morphing into a larger more disjointedly sculpted form, a coat of black washing away the once milky flesh. Onyx eyes replacing the once ocean storm.

Moments passed in silence as Lolita watched in awe of the midnight creature which stood glistening before her. Excitement dangerously bubbled above the surface of her pupils; clouded in a shade of grey from the hauntingly beguiling beast. Sensing the curiosity with danced in her orbs, the wolf cautiously approached the girl, halting as she immediately shuffled backwards, her body moulding into a tree.

He paused, tilting his head slightly and uncharacteristically shrinking into a small ball. His raven eyes fastening to the ground as a way of displaying his harmless intent. Curiosity grasped the best of the petite girl as she moved towards the towering beast, despite the small stance, his midnight frame still stood a foot taller than her own. Lifting his head slightly, colourless eyes clashed with silver stirring a storm which splattered their surroundings into an insignificance abyss.

Shifting slightly, Lolita hesitantly raised her shaky hand closer towards the wolf, who in turn, impatiently nuzzled closer to her, desperate to close the gap between them; to feel the silky touch of his mate's skin running through his thick fur. He growled appreciatively.

Moments passed as the pair remained like this before Damien's wolf stalked closer to his mate, nudging her gently to gain her attention, his determined gaze and movements enough to communicate his purpose. Soon, Lolita was on all fours, her legs and arms positioned a certain distance apart with the assistance of her mate who's eager regard encouraged her to tackle her initial goal further.

Scrunching her face in concentration, Lolita placed all her might into the task at hand. Scouring the deepest elements of her inner substance in dire search for a veiled part of her soul, an aspect  which ran wild on instinct and primal pleasure, the animal side to her being, her wolf. Damien mirthfully took in the comical seen before him, studying the way the beautiful brunette's lashes attacked her flawless skin, her pearl like teeth marginally visible as they clamped down her pursed lip, her cheeks tainting into a deep scarlet red illustrating her aggravation.

Her petite frame began dangerously shaking causing Damien's ears to perk up anticipation. His clear vision of Lolita began melting, no longer like a polished painting in which each remarkable stoke of the brush was crisp and clear, instead the errorless image tainted with the split tears of Lolita merged pigments and shades together forming a pungent blur. Inky eyes contorted to a storm of blue upon the realisation that Lolita was no longer the only thing shaking but the ground beneath her had also conformed to her movements. 

"STOP" Damien's rasp voice boomed, inclining the intensity of the trembling atmosphere. A sharp, excruciating pain assaulted the centre of his chest, silky locks blasted upward from the increasing gust of swirling wind.

His staggering figure collapsed against the earth decorating his bare body in the deep murky shade of the mud beneath him as he edged closer to his entranced mate. The tips off his fingers stretching out with desperation. Flesh met flesh as the Alpha's fingers skimmed across her skin, the small movement enough to break Lolita from her comatose state, her body abruptly jerking still, the wilderness closely following.

"What the hell was that" Damien muttered through ragged breath, supporting the weight of his upper body on his elbows, a dull pain coursing through his veins alerting him of the dangerously slow and sharp beats of his heart. He tilted his head back groaning in annoyance. Throwing Damien's discarded shirt over his waist, Lolita crawled closer to him, wrapping her arms around his increasingly paling neck.

"What's happening to you?" Lolita stuttered, shuddering from the icy touch of her mate's skin, the lifeless look in his dulling blue orbs.

"You are literally the death of me, little wolf" Her mate weakly chuckled back. However, his expression held little of a man on the brink of death, although it was evident his body began shedding the cage which held his soul within him causing him to visibly pale seeming lifeless; Lolita did not miss the faint look of boredom and irritably which mutely lingered on his ghostly features.

But the panic and angst building up inside her overpowered this, combusting and exploding till her thoughts became polluted with the reality of Damien's words. Her body rejected the air around her like it was laced with poison, a stream of tears formed from her sorrow filled orbs as she fearfully clutched the lifeless body, the overwhelming pain in her heart at the loss of her soul mate tipping her to the edge of insanity. The ruined girl let out a shattered, guttering cry, choking on her sobs. Her weak body began deteriorating like it was shredding her insides apart, her vision torn from her till Lolita accepted her fate, in her depressed and powerless state she let her sore body collapse onto her mate's chest as she openly invited the darkness to consume her, engulf her and trap her within with the hopes that she may never escape.

However, death did not accept her invitation, her hopes crushed painfully as her eyes snapped open, her vision gradually adjusting to the night. Lolita depressingly propelled herself upright, tears cascading her fallen features as she unconsciously recalled her greatest lost. Somehow the all consuming pain had been lifted, she no longer felt like she had perished in the lowest pit of hell rather the numb ache in her body from her distress state remained, baffling her. Although she was emotionally torn from her loss, her body no longer felt the impact like it had previously.

Scanning her surroundings, the disappearance of Damien's body became apparent to her, conflicting thoughts strangling the gasping girl as she retrieved up his abandoned shirt in her tightening grip. Of course he did not walk away, he died in her arms. Moreover, even if she had misinterpreted this, even if he was still alive- which she highly doubted from the reaction her body had produced, he would not have left her here alone; this realisation caused Lolita to become hyperaware of her surroundings, recognising the eerily haunted omen twilight carried, the once idyllic woods now seeming like the perfect abode for all the sinister creatures her mind could compose.

However, before the paranoid girl could dig her own grave a blinding light perpetuated through the night, mangling obsidian into a hue of hazy blue producing a presumptuous figure which bore a faint smile as an attempt to mask his distress.

"Now I really must be dead" Lolita muttered to herself as she cautiously approached the carbon copy of her mate. His bare chest huffed outwardly as his body inhaled the cold air, cheeks tinged pink from the flow of blood, eyes glistening with life returned Lolita's gaze.

"It's okay" His voice came out soothingly. "I'm here, you're not dead. I'm not dead" The sincerity of Damien's words operated as a trigger within the comforted girl as she flung herself towards him, the sparks which ignited from the contact of his exposed skin washed over her as she placed her head on his chest, the steady beating which reciprocated insuring her that he was very much alive and that was all that mattered.

Foolishly wrapped up within this, Lolita had failed to notice the slight angered distaste in his tone, the way his body stiffened before instinctively enveloping her in an exceedingly possessive manner, the ominous, distant expression he bore. The glint of murderous darkness clouding his eyes.