Chapter 40

What is good? As the philosopher, G. Moore described, the abstract concept has no psychical presence or significant properties to be noted, it was simply a matter of an individual's own conscious and morality.

So, with that being said. What is evil? It is but a feeling which leaves an individual with a heightened sense of fear, disgust, hatred and anger. With many negative contentions associated with such an adjective, it is objectively impossible to reduce the nature of this into a simple principle or state. Evil is in the eye of the beholder. And for Lolita, the intensity of evil which lurked in these shadows had ultimately moulded her ideology of the concept, holistically around her present feeling.

In a frazzled state, the petite girl held her weapon excruciatingly tight, leaving her body trembling in response. She had long lost her friends in this dark abyss, the peculiar hunk of metal in her hands deemed to be her only source of comfort.

A brisk movement within the distant, dismantled the structure of the branches ahead. Whisking out an arrow from her pouch, Lolita fumbled this into the metal crossbow, aimlessly shooting in the direction of the disturbance. The sharp arrow flew significantly further than Lolita had anticipated, the advanced crossbow alerting her of the whereabouts of the item with a hologram which appeared from the top of the crossbow, asking her whether she wanted to retrieve it. Realising she had hit nothing, the baffled girl complied, as the arrow flew back to the owner, a similar rustling occurred in the tree it had passed.

"Isaac?" She stuttered, sliding the arrow back into her weapon. "Lily, Anna?"

No response.

Trembling, Lolita aimed the arrow towards the branches, silently waiting for the next movement.

~~

"W-what?" The king stuttered.

Sirens, notorious for their alluring nature and psychical beauty were not a creature you ever wanted to encounter. The concept of having them as a rival made most sane creatures take their lives.

After all, the power they bestowed compelled most men to obey their every command. Even if these included the murder of their mate or children. Once under the influence, you would become blindly devoted to these abhorrent creatures.

However, around four decades ago, durning an epidemic of violence and hatred. With the help of Damien, the wolves had risen in superiority in the supernatural realm. To remain top of the hierarchy and insure the wellbeing of their peers, mass genocide of destructive creatures, such as sirens had been mandatory. Only a few of these beasts remained, no doubt thirsty for vengeance.

Although a siren's compulsion did not extend to females, the King worried for the safety of his daughter. The ghastly creatures were impeccable warriors, the threat to their existence only served as another reason for the remaining few to excel in this department.

"She's not responding" He heard Steph grimace triggering his Alpha further.

"Send men" He shot, his frosty eyes flickering multiple shades.

Damien knew his mate would've been safer by his side, he had been moronic for dismissing this as his primal urge of proximity due to the mating bond, assuming leaving her protected on his territory was sufficient.

He had too many enemies, Lolita was only truly safe by his side. Determining that he would attach himself to her hip once he had found her, the raging wolf prepared to jet off in search of his mate.

"Damien wait" Steph urgently voiced. "We can't reach her because she's not on our territory, chances are the idiots are loitering in the woods, dangerously close to-"