Chapter 22

Earlier that day:

"We need you back Alpha Damien, there have been too many killings"

"Killings?" The taller man roughly spoke, slipping his phone into his black jeans, now focusing on his pack member.

"There has been an attack near a human town, their police force have gotten involved, they're investigating the forest, where the bodies where detected, everyone has been advised to avoid the area until you return, there's just so much panic" He staggered on his words, in fear of the response.

"Who's on top of the shit list then?" Steph huffed.

"No. This does not sound like the doings of my pack. They're not imbeciles"

"Who would've done it then?" The Beta questioned, locking his gaze with his Alpha.

Damien shot him an irritated look, "Do I look like the gospel of all knowledge?" Turning his regard towards his pack member, he spoke: "Where the bodies identified?"

"Yes" Was the dry respond he received.

"Well?" His companion had now completely dropped his head, unable to respond.

"Don't scare the boy, Damien" A low voice sounded, chuckling at the young wolf's state.

"Christian" A small smile stretched up on Damien's lips as he greeted the speaker.

"It's been a while, little bro" He chuckled again, engulfing his younger, but taller brother in his arms.

"What're you doing here?"

"What? Do I really need an excuse to come see my baby bro?" This lips curving into a smirk causing his flawless features to uncannily resemble a lighter haired, tan version of Damien.

"No. You're in a meeting room, what happened to the off the radar life with your mate?" Damien questioned his brother concerned. "The Bahamas not treating you well?"

"No i-"

"Who died?"

"Pardon?"

"You're obviously here to keep me from flying off the rails" Damien flatly stated, rolling his eyes. "Who died?"

There was a long pause between the men, the sizzling of Damien's rage practically sounding in the silence.

"Victoria"

Damien cool demeanour stiffened- unknown of who spoke, every limb in his body tightened, his rash movement to the exit caused him extreme discomfort.

The sheer force from slam of the door caused the remaining wolves to jump as they watched the wooden frame collapse from its broken hinges.

"Well," Steph projected into the reticence. "At least nothing's on fire"

~~

"Norway" Lolita stated, the gasping from her mother and twins drowning out what she had to say next.

"Norway?" Lily screamed. "That's so far and so cold and ugh you can't go there!"

"How are we going to help you with your training?" Anna moaned.

"You can't leave us!" The twins shrieked in unison.

"Now girls" Lolita turned to see her mother's seldom expression, she waited for the comfort of the Queen's wise words, who hesitantly continued. "We'll join her in a week"

"What?" Lolita gasped, she had not expected such a reply but rather words of encouragement. "You have your duties here, I'm sure father would not-"

"We will see you in Norway within a week" The queen firmly interjected. "There is no duty of more importance to me than ensuring the well-being of my daughter" A feeling of warmth spread through Lolita, she did not feel more thankful for her mother then she had at this moment. "It's unfortunate that we cannot come any sooner but-"

"Mother!" Lolita broke her from the rambling. "Your promise of coming in a week is more than enough" She embraced the queen tightly, taking in her floral sent, afraid to let go. "I'll be fine"

"I know you will be, my little warrior" Her mother added.

~~

"Hello" Lolita meekly interacted with the figure which loomed over her, taking her suitcase and placing it in Damien's car.

"Hey" He replied warmly, his tone laced in concern. "You must be Lolita, Damien's little mate. I'm Christian, his older brother"

"Nice to meet you Christian" Lolita addressed the older man wearily. "Do you have any idea where Damien is?"

"That I do not, Lolita. I've been assigned to take you to Norway by Steph"

"Oh" was all Lolita could form. Her thoughts spinning, did Damien not care for her the same way she had? Does he not want her? Thinking back to his legacy, it became clear to Lolita that she was nothing but an inconvenience to him. Her past had loaded more responsibility to Damien, the nature of the mate bond tampering with his emotionless outlook. Lolita began to see herself as nothing but a burden which he had now begun to neglect.

"He's just pissed, needs to let off some steam. I'm sure he'll be fine and return to you with whatever little loving tendency he can produce" Christian projected, attempting to comfort the small girl, her reaction had surprised him. Was she not familiar with his lack of regard for others? For the Damien he knew was a narcissistic sociopath, as much as he loved his brother, he knew he was incapable of love or any emotion for that matter. It was a rarity that he cared deeply for an individual, yet the look in this girl's eyes expressed deep infatuation and concern for Damien. How had he managed that? Was this simply the mate bond?

Shrugging this off, he opened the car door for the shivering girl "You think this is cold, elskling?" He joked. "I hope you packed warm"