Chapter 30

After the visit with Jasmine, Coccinette and Chat sat on a rooftop. Coccinette now had the time to think of how crazy those 2 days had been.

"Chat?" she spoke up. It was now mid-afternoon. "Yes princess?" he asked. "I'm scared." Chat turned to her confused. "Why?"

Coccinette let out a huff, "Things were normal and now I'm a hero! A-and I can talk! You can't tell me that isn't crazy! It's not even going to last!"

Chat looked at her with wide-eyes. "What do you mean this won't last?" he asked. Coccinette turned to him, "Chat I'm doing this because Jasmine just had her baby. I'm not a hero like her. Yes I stopped that akuma but it was because he had been weakened. Chat this isn't for me.

"I'm new here, I don't know anything! I don't know what I'm doing I just don't fee-" She stopped. Her voice stopped. She couldn't speak anymore. Tikki?

I'm sorry, she heard a quiet voice say. The transformation came off and Tikki flew in front of Marinette. "I'm so sorry Marinette! My powers are limited. That was all the speech I could give you!"

A sad smiled formed on her face and she cupped Tikki. It's ok, she mouthed. Chat hugged Marinette and held her in her arms. Quiet sobs came from the girl. Chat's heart ached at the sound.

The gift given to her only lasted less than 24 hours. She had limited time and she regretted not knowing that. She wasn't able to say the words she really wanted to.

But now it didn't matter.

.

Hawkmoth kept quiet the rest of the break. The akuma attacks stopped and Marinette gave Chat back the earrings. There wasn't any need for them. She wasn't going to be able to use them anyways.

It had been a few days and school was starting back up again. Marinette and Chat didn't really see each other much. Things were not so good after the whole ordeal. Marinette was still sad about her limited gift.

The earrings were given back to Jasmine, who reluctantly took them back. She had really hoped Marinette would keep them longer.

Adrien was pretty upset as well. He didn't like Marinette being sad but he couldn't do much. She was too heartbroken by her lost gift. School was starting the next day and his father was to arrive that day. Things were going great (sarcasm).

Adrien woke up that morning a bit earlier than usual, hoping to avoid his father. His attempt failed and he saw his father entering as he got down the last few steps.

"How were things?" his father asked. Nice to see you too, father. Adrien stood up straight and matched the older man's face, "Things went well." His father nodded and turned his attention to a book.

"I thought you left that here?"

"I came back to pick it up," Gabriel replied, almost too quickly. Adrien raised a brow. "When?" "New Years Eve, I left right away." He simply nodded and went to the dining area. Gabriel took one last glance at Adrien before going into his office.

Adrien's thoughts on Marinette took over his mind again and any suspicion he had of his father was gone. He ate his breakfast and made his way outside. He took one last glance at the house before getting in the car.

When he arrived at school, everybody was still outside waiting. Marinette and Alya sat on the staircase and Nino stood next to them. Alya was rubbing Marinette's back. Marinette had her face hidden in her hands. Adrien's face saddened. He walked over to the trio and sat next to Mari.

"Hey, what's wrong?" he asked. Alya sighed, "Don't bother Adrien, she won't budge." Adrien looked at Alya with a sympathetic look. He knew why she was sad, but he couldn't say. Marinette couldn't say either. Her having the miraculous was to be kept a secret.

The doors opened and students began walking in. Alya got up and walked inside with Nino. Adrien stood up and held his hand out for Marinette. She looked up, her eyes puffy from crying. "C'mon Mari," he gave her a smile. "It'll be ok. Whatever it is, you'll get through."

Marinette smiled. Adrien always cheered her up. She loved her friendship with him. She took his hand and he pulled her up. He let go of her hand and stuck his arm out. Marinette hooked her arm around his and they both walked into the school.

That day they both had a study period first so they headed to the library. A couple of other students were there from other classes. Marinette and Adrien sat down at a table. Each took out their own textbooks to study for different subjects. However, neither actually studied.

Adrien couldn't stop thinking about Marinette's puffy eyes. She had been crying. Why wouldn't she? All her life she wanted to speak and she lost that ability almost right away.

That what was also on Marinette's mind. Things were so busy and crazy she didn't have time to enjoy her voice. Chat and her had to stop the akuma and right after doing so, she fell asleep. The hard work tired her out. When she woke (which was rather late, but not like Chat) she went looking for Chat, then they went to visit Jasmine. Then she lost her gift shortly after.

The thing she longed for the longest came and went so fast she didn't get to enjoy it. She didn't have time to enjoy and be happy that she had a voice. She didn't even get the chance to continue being Ladybug. Without a voice, how could she be Ladybug? Besides, everyone would suspect.

Marinette just had to accept the fact she was mute and it wasn't going to be fixed. Not with money, not with magic. That's just how things were for the past 17 years and how it'll be for the rest of her life.