Chapter 35

Marinette's legs felt like jelly when she got up to the seventh floor. Going up seven flights of stairs was hard enough on its own, but carrying a newborn baby?

Suddenly living in a bakery didn't seem as good as a life as she thought. Marinette took a few deep breathes to steady her breathing.

After a few moments, she opened the apartment door.

She stepped inside and she looked around. A smile grew on her face. Everything about the apartment said, Jasmine.

Everything looked neat and clean. Nothing was out of place. The perfect apartment for someone smart and organized like Ladybug.

Marinette stepped in and closed the door behind her. Sure enough, things were like LB's fiance had said. The baby's formula was on the counter in the kitchen next to the door.

Across the door was the living room with a bag on the couch. Next to the couch was a small craddle and a changing table. In front of the couch was a coffee table and TV. Behind the TV was a glass sliding door leading to a small balcony.

Next to the kitchen was a small door that Marinette assumed lead to the bedroom and bathroom.

Marinette walked to the small living room and placed Thomas on the small baby cradle next to the couch. Thomas had been asleep the whole time and she was grateful.

She sat down and took off her coat. She opened the bag and inside was a note Jasmine wrote.

"Inside are baby clothes, diapers, baby wipes, bottles, extra formula just in case, and baby toys. Feel free to watch TV and help yourself any snacks in the kitchen.

Almost on cue, Marinette felt her stomach grumble. She felt herself blush.

"The bathroom is through the door on the right. In case of an emergency call my number, it does go through. I'll be back as soon as I can! Have fun with little Thomas

~ Jasmine B."

Marinette folded the letter and put it up. She looked over at Thomas to see he was still sleeping.

She got up and walked towards the kitchen. Next to the fridge on the counter was another letter. Marinette picked it up and opened it. 

"I'm assuming you feel awkward just taking anything from my kitchen, but it's fine! You're doing this for free and I feel bad not giving you anything, so I stocked up with anything you'll need to make yourself food. Relax and enjoy your time!" 

Marinette felt more relaxed but still a little weary just taking food. She put the card down and looked through the items Jasmine had out for her.

Marinette made herself a simple sandwich and served herself a glass of water. She didn't want to be too intrusive. It was a little past noon and she'd go home afterwards and eat something proper anyway.

She sat in the small table in the kitchen, making sure to have a view of the craddle Thomas was in. She ate her food uneventfully and was quite satisfied. After she finished she placed her glass and plate in the sink and washed them.

Thomas was still asleep so she sat next to the craddle. Marinette looked in the craddle and smiled. Thomas looked a lot like his father. The same hazel green eyes with a speck of blue from Jasmine and sandy blond hair.

Jasmine had mentioned knowing her fiance since high shool and Marinette wondered if they had dated then.

She turned to a framed photo on the coffee table. The picture was of Jasmine, her fiance, and Thomas. Thomas had his eyes closed but he had the cutest smile.

Maybe one day Chat and I will have a future like that, she thought. Almost immediately she felt herself blush and shake the thought away.

It was too early for that. I mean, they've only known each other for 4 months.

Before she could continue her train of thought, Thomas started crying. Marinette quickly reached for him and picked him up.

His cheeks were bright red. Marinette felt his face and it was hot. Marinette took off his blanket and he was left in a long sleeve onesie.

Thomas continued to wail but at a lower volume and Marinette panicked. She looked around and saw the formula. Maybe he's hungry!

She put him down on the craddle and grabbed a bottle from the bag. She opened it and went to the kitchen quickly.

She placed it down on the kitchen and there was some room temperature water out and a pot with water on the stove. She turned on the stove to the highest setting.

She poured the lukewarm water into the bottle and added in the fixed formula. She shook the bottle quickly, making sure the formula spread evenly.

Her hands were trembling slightly from the anxiety. She had babysat before but never a newborn baby.

Luckily the water in the stove was already at a warm temperature and it didn't take long for it to began to bubble. Marinette placed the bottle in the pot and quickly ran for Thomas.

She picked him up and his crying slowned down to soft sobs. Marinette craddled him as she walked towards the kitchen.

She held Thomas with on arm, making sure to support his neck and reached for the bottle. She poured a little formula on her finger and satisfied with the temperature, she fed it to him.

Thomas let out a small sigh and drank away his formula. Marinette let out a heavy sigh of relief.

Now she understood why Jasmine's fiance's hair was messed up. It wasn't because of the stairs. The guy was probably struggling without the help of Jasmine.

Thomas finished his milk and Marinette placed the bottle in the sink. She walked over to the changing table and carefully placed him down.

She changed his diaper and picked him up again, rocking him back to sleep.

He fussed a little before going back to sleep. Marinette tried putting him back on the craddle but he cried when she did so. So she was forced to hold him.

Marinette sat down on the couch and turned on the TV. She turned it down low enough for it not to disturb Thomas, but loud enough for her to hear.

Every once in a while Thomas would move around in her arms and make cute noises that brought smiles to Marinette's face.

Marinette checked her phone and frowned. It was almost 2pm now and Chat and Ladybug weren't back.

What's holding them back?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been dating my boyfriend for about a year and nine months now, pretty long I know lol. I've had friends tell me we're going to get married (hell, even my mom hinted at it slightly).

One of my friends straight up said to me (these are exactly and entirely her words) "Aww I can already see you walking down the isle."

I've also taken care of my baby cousin who is the cutest kid ever. I took care of her once when she was about 2 months old and it was pretty uneventful 😂 so I tried making Marinette's experience more fun lol