23. 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗿𝗶𝘁𝘆 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝗹𝗶𝗽

TWO BAD GUYS FELL ON THE RESTAURANT TABLES WHEN SPIDER-MAN LANDS IN FRONT OF THEM. Watching from one of the tables in the restaurant, Eszter minded her own business as she couldn't be bothered by the situation at hand. As suspected, the enhanced hadn't offered her assistance to Peter, not seeming interested in the little fight occurring around her. Never mind the fact that Peter didn't take his job as seriously as she had thought, finding it more of a joke as he toyed with the criminals.

However, Eszter thought it bore her.

Occasionally, Eszter would hold her hand out and create a barrier between her and the fight, preventing anyone from getting too close or blocking the bullets. The enhanced didn't have the energy to participate; it was too soon for Eszter to jump back into the superhero life.

"Behind you," Eszter informs, watching with a blank look.

Peter knew that, but he was glad to hear Eszter add little input after being silent most of the night. Not having to turn around, Peter merely lifts his arm behind him and webs the man without looking; then, he points his other arm out to another man, preventing him from shooting Peter.

"Thanks," he exclaims. "Let's keep it moving, guys. We've got a lot to do today."

Eszter hums in agreement, though the enhanced had been thinking about going home rather than the charity--but since it was being hosted and supported by the Parker's and Pepper, Eszter decided it would be best if she showed up.

She is an Avenger, after all.

Suddenly, a man was rushing forward and attempting to sneak up on Eszter, but Peter had sensed it and quickly leaps over the tables and shoots the man with webs. Shouting in defeat, the man suddenly crashes to the ground before being yanked into the air until he was dangling upside down.

"I still don't get why I have to go," Eszter complains out of the blue, taking Peter off-guard. He glances over his shoulder briefly when he eyes his girlfriend, noting her somber expression as she frowns at the table. "I'm not entirely as welcomed as you, so what's the point of going for people who don't even like me? It's not like I helped save the world or whatever."

Peter flips over the tables, sending a web launcher that stuck one of the gunmen against the wall. "That's not true. You're my partner now, and wherever I go, so do you," Peter shoots another web at another gunman, yanking the guns from the man's grasp. Grunting, Peter does a front flip. "Alright, I'm gonna give this place a one-star. Dusk?"

Eszter perks up in confusion, though she senses Peter's motives--he was trying to cheer her up as best as he could; however, the enhanced knew Peter was just as sad as she.

"Two-star," Peter looks at her, though Eszter senses his emotion without needing to see the expression on his face. "For effort."

Suddenly, from the side, a man in a suit comes out from behind the pillar, not hesitating when he began to rain fire toward Peter; however, the man hadn't noticed the sly smirk planting itself on Eszter's lips or the small cackle she emitted. Playing the victim, Peter yelps in surprise as the bullets smacked against his iron suit, ricochetting in the other direction.

For a brief moment, there was silence between the fight when the gunman took this opportunity to reload his gun but failed as it was suddenly jammed. Panic began to settle in, and Eszter could feel it. But with a loud cackle from the side, the man glanced up and found the Dusk sitting alone with her guard down, laughing abruptly.

"Bet you didn't see that coming," she musters a grin.

"What?" He gawks.

Then, Peter jumps back to his feet, grinning behind his suit. "Just kidding, it's bulletproof!" He shoots out two webs and slingshots himself across the small path, colliding with the businessman and knocking him on his back.