Chapter 3

SCOTT

The next day, Kirstie and I walk to our first class together. When we enter the room, my gaze immediately goes to Mitch, who's already looking at me.

He raises one eyebrow, but I look away, to Kirstie, who saw our little exchange.

I quietly slide into my seat, trying to keep my eyes off of Mitch. I've never felt this way about someone before. It's just physical attraction though, I tell myself. I've never even had an actual conversation with him. I've heard him say, what? Just a few words?

I shouldn't be attracted to him. He's trouble, from what Kirstie has told me.

When class ends, I get up from my seat, ready to leave. But a hand on my arm stops me.

It's Mitch.

He tilts his head towards the door. "Walk with me," he says, more of a statement than a question.

I look at Kirstie for help, who shrugs and gives me a look that says, do what you want.

"Um, y-yeah. Sure," I respond, nervously.

I follow him out of the room and walk next to him down the hall. He's pretty short compared to me. Well, I guess everyone is, but still. I didn't realize until now.

"So, there's this party that a friend of mine is having on Friday night. You should come," Mitch says, looking up at me.

A party? I have to admit, I've never been invited to a party before. Like, a party party. I've been to birthday parties when I was in elementary school, but obviously, that doesn't count.

And why the hell is Mitch inviting me to the party in the first place? I mean, I'm not exactly the coolest person. And people know that. It just comes off of me. I'm quiet, I don't talk to people first, and I do everything that I'm told.

"Hello? Did you hear me? I mean, I know I'm attractive, but..." Mitch's voice breaks me out of my thoughts, and I realize I was staring at him.

I feel my cheeks heat up. "I don't know, I mean, yeah, I did, and yeah, you are, but, um..." I trail off. This is why I don't talk to people.

Mitch smirks. "Cool. I'll see you there, then?" He grabs my arm, pulls a pen out of his pocket, and scribbles his number on my arm. "I'll text you the details, okay?"

"Yeah..." I watch as he strides ahead of me into our next class.

What have I gotten myself into?

- - -

"Scott, you don't have to go. You shouldn't go. Bad things happen at those parties," Kirstie tells me at lunch. We sit across from each other, alone at our own table.

"Like what?" I ask. The only experience I have of parties is reading about them.

"You know, people drink and fool around and stuff. Plus, Kevin is known for having some of the craziest parties," she says, lowering her voice and leaning forward.

"Have you been there? To his parties?" I respond.

Her expression changes into something I can't quite read.
"Yeah. I have."

"I kinda want to go, though," I admit, "I don't know why. I know it's not the best idea..."

"Yeah, it's not!" Kirstie exclaims, startling me. She sighs and slumps down in her chair. "I just don't want anything to happen to you."

"Did something happen to you at a party, Kirstie?" I feel like something happened between her and Mitch. I just don't know what.

She rests her head in her hands and inhales deeply.

"Yeah. I had a one night stand with Mitch. But then he kept coming back, and we kept fooling around. But when I told him I thought I had feelings for him, he never talked to me again. Okay?" she says hurriedly.

I let this information sink in. So Kirstie was that one girl he was with. Oh. That would explain her being so hostile towards him. She just doesn't want something like that to happen to me. I wonder how long ago that was.

"We were 16," she says, answering my unspoken question.

I sit there, staring at her. I don't know what to say. There's a part of me that wants to go to that party still. I won't drink. I'm smart enough not to do anything stupid.

"I won't go," I lie.

Kirstie sighs and runs a hand through her dark hair. "Good."

- - -

When I get home that day, after my parents pester me again, I go straight up to my room and lock the door.

I enter Mitch's number in my phone and hesitantly send a text.

Me: Hey, it's Scott.

He replies surprisingly fast.

Mitch: Hey! I thought you'd never text. So are you going to the party on Friday?

Me: Yeah.

I feel bad about lying to Kirstie, but she doesn't need to know, right?

Mitch: Cool! It'll be a lot of fuunn ;)

He then sends me a text saying Kevin's address and the time of the party.

I'm really doing this. I'll just tell my parents that I'm going to Kirstie's house to study. They'll believe me. It should work.