Chapter Seven

Today is June 30th, hundreds of people campers in tow pulled into our yard yesterday from early to late in the day, I think I spent ten hours outside telling people where to park even though my and Lily spent a day putting signs up to show people where to park...

I had to wake up at the crack of dawn today to get ready and then get the kids ready, it took awhile to fix Hermione's hair and curl Lily and Ginny's then I had to convince my son to get out of his Spider-Man onesie, that took a solid half hour. Then I had to bribe Lily to put down her Harry Potter book (she was now on the third). After that I had to drag Ginny out of the barn and change her dress which was now covered in straw and mud as well as redo her hair which was perfect before.

After that I made a quick breakfast as it was already nine thirty and I wanted to leave the house half an hour ago to set some more tables out, and I still hadn't heard any word from the band who were supposed to get here this morning at eight...

Jeff had gotten up this morning and forgot that today was the reunion, so I was just a little stressed. He helped me the best he could, but that wasn't good enough... Not today... Today people from my high school would be talking about how successful they are now (though only me and Nick are of the famous sign). Boys would be talking sports, and how our team the Saskatchewan Rough Riders were doing good and how they think they will win the grey cup while my husband cheers for Edmonton's team so he would be cheering for them... and when ever someone mentions sports to me, all I can think about is Karate and Quiddatch, my favourite sports.

By the time we got out of the house we were running five minutes late, making everyone waiting on us. As soon as we got there I had to go up onto the stage and say my words before the band (which just showed up) began to play some songs, some new and some old, I walked up to the microphone and began to speak, "Hello everyone, I haven't seen some of you in Seventeen years..." I told them, "Some of you may recognize me, some not... I'm Maria, I'll just leave you to it... And thanks for coming."

They clapped as I finished talking and I went to join my family and noticed Lily had already found her friends. That sort of reminded me of my sister, always able to make friends... Even in a McDonalds play room. I went and sat with Jeff, he was talking to another Edmonton fan and I sat there thinking about the Riders as I am a Saskatchewan girl through and through.