I've Missed You

“So you promise you’ll be there tomorrow?”  Sven asks for the 12th time over the phone.  I sigh deeply.

“Oh my god yes.  I told you a hundred times.  I’ll be picking you up from the airport.”  I reply with a tone of annoyance.  I hear Sven laugh.

“You should make a sign with my name on it.  I haven’t seen you in so long, I’m not sure if I’ll recognize you.”  Sven says jokingly.  He’s been out in Australia for a month. He’s my best friend and we’re not used to being apart for so long.

“Yeah you probably won’t recognize me.  I dyed my hair green, got a bunch of tattoos, and gained 50 pounds.”  I tell Sven.  He laughs again. 

“I bet you’re still beautiful though.” Sven says.  I can’t tell if he’s kidding or not.

“Even with green hair?”  I ask him. 

“Yeah.  You can pull it off.  Oh shit, I gotta go.  I’ll see you tomorrow, right?  You swear you’ll be there?” Sven asks…again. 

“Bye, Sven.  Have a lovely flight.  See you tomorrow.”  I answer. 

“You better be there.”  Sven says quickly before hanging up the phone. 

The next day I stand in the airport alone waiting for Sven.  I made a giant ‘welcome home Sven’ poster, just like he requested.  I wait impatiently for him.  I watch as hundreds of people pass by me, none of them being Sven.  The airport is nearly empty by the time I see Sven coming down the hall. I hold my poster up high. 

“Y/N!”  Sven yells as he drops his bags and runs to me.  He picks me up off the ground and into a massive hug.  The poster falls out of my hands as I wrap my arms around his neck. Sven then does something extremely unexpected.  He kisses me.  Not just a peck, but like a full-blown kiss.

“I’m sorry….I just…I…”  Sven stutters once our lips part.  He puts me back on the ground as his cheeks start burning red. 

“It’s okay.”  I say awkwardly while Sven picks his bags back off the ground.  He slings them over his shoulder, and then wraps his arm around my mine.

“God I’ve missed you.”  Sven tells me as we walk out of the airport. “What happened to the green hair?”

“I wanted you to be able to recognize me, so I changed it back.”  I lie jokingly.  Sven tightens his grip on my shoulders and pulls me closer to him.  I watch his face to see if he’s thinking about the kiss that just occurred, but he gives nothing away.  “Here’s my car.”

“Alright I’ll just throw my stuff in the back.”  Sven replies.  I get in the drivers seat. He tosses his bags in the back and then sits in the passenger seat.  Sven runs his fingers through his messy hair as if nothing had happened.  I eye him suspiciously. “What’s wrong?”

“Are you serious?  Are we really not going to talk about this?”  I ask Sven. How can we not talk about the fact he just kissed me?  Kissing is not something we normally do.

“I didn’t mean to kiss you, y/n.  It just sort of happened.”  Sven says as he looks down at his feet.  “I think I just really missed you and overreacted.”

“So it didn’t mean anything?”  I ask him. He shifts awkwardly in his seat and then looks up at me.

“No.  It was just a spur of the moment kind of thing.  It won’t happen again.” Sven tells me. 

“Oh, okay.” I reply. For some reason I feel slightly disappointed.