Change My Mind

"Who ya textin'?" I ask Sven as I curl up next to him on the couch. We're close enough friends that cuddling is a norm for us. He wraps one arm around me while the other hand holds his phone. He scrunches his nose all cute before he answers.

"Lauren." Sven says with a half smile as he looks down happily at his phone. Of course he's texting her. I should've expected this so I do my best to mask the kick in the gut feeling I just got.

"Oh right. How is she doing?" I ask as I pretend to be interested in his girlfriend. I barely know the girl. She seems nice enough and I'm happy he's happy, but I don't know. I can't help but wish it were me.

"She's good. I think she has been missing me a lot lately." Sven tells me. I nod understandingly.

"You've been been gone a lot. I'm sure that's hard for her." I continue. I don't push the conversation any further and neither does Sven. We sit quietly on the couch for a couple minutes.

"Do you like Lauren?" Sven asks randomly. My body freezes in his arms. I know I have to lie.

"Yeah. She seems cool." I answer. I don't know what else to say. I know almost nothing about her besides the fact she's dating the guy I'm in love with.

"You would tell me, right? You would tell if you didn't like her?" He asks. Now it's getting harder and harder to lie.

"Of course I would tell you." I say as convincingly as possible.

"It just doesn't seem like you like Lauren and your opinion really matters to me." Sven continues. I lean up against his chest.

"I don't know her, Sven, but if she makes you happy, then I like her." I say. Sven goes quiet again. I watch his forehead wrinkle, which means he's busy thinking about something. "Why are you asking me about her?"

"Lauren asked me why I'm here with you and not with her." He says slowly. "It's a fair question. Why am I here with you and not with my girlfriend?"

"Umm-" I begin to say. I'm still curled up with Sven, which suddenly feels awkward. I sit up and scooch a few inches away from him.

"The truth is I'd rather be with you than anyone else...even my girlfriend. Hanging out with you is easy. We have fun even we don't do anything and it's not like that with Lauren. I like Lauren, obviously, but I don't know. Things are just different with you." Sven admits to me. I know what I want to say, but I hold it back. I want to tell him exactly how I feel, because he's given me every chance to, but I'm not that brave. "Y/n...have you ever liked me as more than friend?"

"Yeah." I say quietly without thinking too much. I don't want to lie anymore.

"Really?" He questions. Sven seems almost excited now.

"Yeah." I say again.

"I think maybe we're meant to be more than friends, y/n." Sven says shyly. This is one of those jaw dropping moments. I look at him with wide eyes and wait for him to say 'I'm just kidding', but his face remains serious.

"What about Lauren?" I ask. I don't want to bring her up again. I've been waiting fmonths for Sven to say this, but I'm not going to let myself get hurt. I can't get my hopes up.

He runs his fingers through his unruly hair and shakes his head out of frustration. I wish I knew what he was thinking.

"I like her, I do. I swear I do, but there's you. There's always you. You're always in my head. I try ignoring it and I get so frustrated because I can't keep pretending that I don't like you. Lauren can tell. I know she knows and that kills me. I don't want to hurt anyone." Sven rants with his hand pressed against his forehead. The stress is written all over his face.

"I've been pretending too." I finally admit. This causes him to look up at me. "I've been pretending that I don't have feelings for you, but I do. I should've just been honest with you."

Sven stares at me for a moment. He looks like he wants to say something, but he doesn't.

"I want to kiss you." Sven says nervously. He stiffens and keeps his hands together in his lap as if to stop himself from actually kissing me. "I want to kiss you, but I can't until I end things with her."

"Okay." I answer. We go silent again. Sven's forehead wrinkles again as he thinks of his next move. I want to kiss him, but now I'm the one holding back.

"I'll be right back." Sven says quickly. He shoots up from the couch, leaving me staring at him with confusion. He grabs his car keys off the coffee table and rushes towards the door. "I'm coming right back. I don't want to wait another minute. I don't want to hurt anyone, but I want to be with you, y/n."

"Hurry back." I say with a small smile. I don't want him to leave but I know he has to. He smiles back at me and then takes off for Lauren's house. I can't believe this is happening. I can't believe he likes me.

I want to wait for Sven to get back, but it's getting late. He left three hours ago and I haven't heard from him since. My mind automatically assumes the worst. Maybe he went to Lauren's house and changed his mind the moment he saw her. Maybe he saw her pretty face and forgot everything he just said to me.

My own thoughts are driving me insane so I'm going to bed.

"Hey, hey." Sven whispers as he gently touches my shoulder. I rub my eyes open and see him sitting on the edge of my bed. I sit up and turn on the lamp next to the bed.

"What time is it?" I ask with a raspy, sleepy voice.

"3am." He says quietly. "I'm sorry for waking you up, but I really wanted to talk to you."

I shiver at his words. Nothing good can come from 'wanting to talk'. I know he's going to break up with me before we even begin. I should've been more prepared for this.

"Okay. Lets talk." I say as confidently as possible. I know what he's going to say.

"I broke up with her." Sven says. He looks like he's trying to hold back a smile, but he's failing. His eyes are all lit up with excitement. "I know I should be sad, but I'm not. Breaking up with her was the best thing I've ever done because now I get to be with you."

I don't say anything right away because I'm shocked that he still wants to be with me. I was sure he would've changed his mind.

"You still want to be together, right?" Sven asks as his smile starts to fade. The wrinkles in his forehead reappear and I can tell he's worried.

"Yeah! Yeah of course!" I say as I try to reassure him. "I just...I don't know...I guess I figured you changed your mind. I thought that you would see her and realize you didn't want me after all."

"Y/n, I've waited a long time for this. I've been holding back my feelings for you for so long and I never want to do that again. I'm not going to change my mind. Trust me. I want this. I want you." Sven says sweetly, but still with a look of seriousness. Now I'm the one unable to hide my smile. Sven slides closer to me and puts my face in his hands. He looks at me for moment, like he's studying every part of me, then he smirks and leans in. Our lips meet without any difficulty and just like that I got everything I wanted.