One

I walked down the stairs into the Slytherin common room, my hair pulled up. I kept my head down as I passed Draco and his two tagalongs. They had been speaking harsh words about Hogwarts.

Granted that Hogwarts had been amping up for a war sice Cedric had been killed a couple years ago. This was my last year here. I was hopeful that I would get out before the war, but it seemed unlikely. 

I could feel darkness in the air as I walked towards my first class of the day. My arms cradled my books over my chest as I entered the classroom.  Professor Snape sat at his desk, his dark eyes down on his work. Without looking up, he let out a breath. "Rowan." He greeted softly. I gave a nod to him as I took my usual seat at the front of the class. "Professor." I whispered.

I prepared my work station quietly. When I had sat down, I looked up, seeing Snapes eyes watching me closely. I questioned him with my eyes, deciding not to speak.

"Youre quieter than usual, Rowan." He stood and moved to stand in front of his desk. His face was emotionless as usual. My eyes looked back to my advanced potions book. "Im sorry, Sir." My voice was soft, not wanting to upset him by speaking too roughly.

His eyes narrowed slightly. "Hows your mother?" He questioned. My eyes looked up to him now. "Im not sure, Sir."

He sighed. "Your father?"

"You would know more than I."

His eyes narrowed further, moving forward. "Hes well." She sighed. "Do you know of anything he plans?"

I shook my head, crossing my ankles under the desk. He let the conversation fall as students began flooding the room.

Today was the first day of the new school year and Snape looked rested for once. Draco sat next to me and make a few snide comments towards Potter, who sat behind me. I sighed softly, wanting to dismiss him but I couldnt.

"Problem, Strange?" Malfoy asked. He straightened his green tie, making me ashamed of my own. I took in a deep breath. "You shouldnt be so harsh." My voice was quiet. Malfoy scoffed at me, shaking his head. "You daft bitch. As if you know anything that I say." He snarled at me, reaching over and pushing my shoulder.

Panic set into my body as I fell from my chair with a loud thump. People stared at us. Hed touched me and it set off every single panic and anger in my body.

I pulled my arm back, letting it go foward woth force. The contact with Dracos face sent a resounding crunch from through the room. I pulled my hand away, cradling it to my chest now. Pain shot up my arm.

Snape moved over, taking my hand in his own, frowning.  I quickly took my arm from Snape, my whole body shook with fear.

Malfoy stood, pushing me again, my eyes stayed down. "Dont touch me." I whispered. "Please dont touch me." My voice shook.

"How dare you hit me! Wait until my father hears of this!" He shouted at me. Blood stained his white shirt and face. As he moved towards me, Snape grabbed him by the back of his collar, frowning. "Miss Strange, you are dismissed. I will escort you to the medical wing." His voice was harsh. I flinched at the sound before I nodded, my eyes never leaving the ground.

Snape placed Draco back in his chair. Malfoy wiped his nose on his sleeve as he glared to me. Snape moved beside me, opening the door for me.

As we walked down the hall, he eyed me carefully. "A weeks detention." He spoke to me. My eyes widened, looking up to him. "Professor, Dra-"

His hand raised stopping me. "I will deal with him." He spoke. I nodded, accepting the punishment. This would be my first punishment since Id been in Hogwarts.

He made sure I was checked properly, got the potion down, and then escorted me back to the Slytherin common room. "Rest up. That potion will make you sleep for a while. Tonight you will show for detention at 7 pm. You are excused from the rest of you classes."

I nodded slowly, looking to the dark man. He turned, heading from the room and leaving me alone.