Four

I awoke early that morning, the ring still on my hand. I got out of bed, slowly placing my bare feet on the stone floor. My hands came up to rub at my face before they gripped into my hair. I felt the nerves residing in my chest and stomach as I began to get ready. 

The other children were getting ready for breakfast in the Great Hall. I usually skipped breakfast. That room had far too many people in it for me to feel comfortable. Dumbledore had known this, and approved me to skip as long as I was being productive with my time. I finished getting ready before I headed into the common room, seeing a first year struggling with their tie. I stopped when they had asked for help, and silently tied it for him.

Without a word, I headed into the halls of Hogwarts and straight to the potions classroom. I figured Snape would be in the Great Hall by now, ordering kids to detention or taking away points. I slipped into the room silently, but hesitated when I saw Severus at his desk.

 "Business or pleasure?" He asked in a low voice. He looked as if he hadnt slept in ages. The circles under in eyes matched his hair. I let out a soft sign and watched him for a long moment. I held the now empty box in my hand. I looked down to it before I moved towards him. 

"Both." I whispered, handing him the object in my hand. His eyes looked back up to me as he opened it slowly. After examining the box, he held out his hand. I slowly lifted my left hand, placing it in his own. His fingers gently took mine and turned it side to side. For such a gruff man, his touch was gentle. His eys looked back to me as he stood, not letting my hand go, and moved around to the front of his desk. 

"Thank you," He whispered, pulling me close to his chest. I could feel the relief wash over him. 

"Why are you thanking me?" I asked, wanting to pull away from him, but accepting his embrace. 

"Youve spared my life and your own." He took my shoulders, pushing me back gently. I looked up to him as she bent down and pressed a gentle kiss to my hair. I tensed, but tears stung at my eyes. My parents had never shown me this kind of affection before. It was overwhelming, alarming, and sweet all at once. 

"Rowan you must know, I hav-" The door opened with a creak and Snapes arm dropped from my shoulders quickly. "Miss Strange, I expect this behaviour from anyone else but you!" His voice boomed making me flinch. He was putting on a show now.

 "5 points from Slytherin!" He moved back to his desk, jotting it down. I coward away from him, pulling my robes closer around me as I moved to my desk and took my seat. I kept my left hand under the desk, not wanting to let Malfoy see the ring. Though he was one of us now, I still couldnt trust where is allegiance lay. 

I looked up to Snape as he began to write things on the blackboard, keeping his eyes on his work. My mind slipped away from class. I was already a few chapters ahead as it was. I thought of the upcoming wedding to Snape and I had no fear of that. What was to be expected of the wedding night? 

Would he expect more than what I am ready for? Or would he be patient with me until I was ready? I had no doubt that Severus was a good man, but I doubted myself. I was unclear on how a child would help this situation. I knew if my father died, I would be expected to replace him and his cruel ways. I couldnt do that. I was nothing like my father or my mother. I was not cruel. I was kind and gentle-hearted. I couldnt kill for the sake of killing. 

"Miss Strange!" Professor Snapes voice boomed through the class. I looked to him now.  His eyes softened for a moment, but that was quickly replaced with his usual glare. "See me after class." He growled. 

I nodded in understanding. I knew he would expect an explanation.