Twenty Eight

I laid in bed next to Severus, our legs tangled, our skin touching in every place we connected. I traced the small scars on his chest with my finger tips. I could feel his eyes on me as I did. My head rested on his shoulder, a content smile on my lips. How could one man make me so happy just by existing? 

His fingers traced up and down my spine, seeming to bring goosebumps to my exposed skin as he did. His fingers took hold of the locket I was wearing. "This night was a good one." He whispered. The necklace had not left my neck since he had placed it on me. I giggled softly and cuddled further into him. 

"I still really love that sound." He whispered. I groaned softly, burying my face in his shoulder for a second. My face flooded with red, his comment making me blush. I took in a deep breath before  he placed a kiss to my lips. After a few moments, he pulled back, looking down at his arm. 

"Its time." He whispered. I gripped tighter to him for a long moment before I nodded. I let him get up. My eyes scanned his form as he pulled on his clothing, coving the scratch mark that littered his back. He looked back to me and let out a sigh. 

"I love you," He whispered, leaning down to kiss my lips one last time. I returned his kiss, holding his face for a long moment. 

I moved away from him, pulling on my clothes now. He wouldnt be walking into this alone. He thought he was, but I would be right behind him. Severus gave me one last look before he opened the door and headed out. 

My heart pounded in my chest, leaving me motionless for a long moment. He might not come back. I might not be able to save him. I took in a sharp breath, closing my eyes. I accessed my fathers mind undetected, seeing his surroundings. Water, partially sunken boat, and wooden shelter. He was at the boathouse. I quickly grabbed my wand and headed that direction.  

I rushed through the war that was still going, keeping in the shadows as best I could. Once I had gotten to the boathouse, I could see the three forms kneeling by the ground. Harry and his two tagalongs  listened to the conversation between Severus and my father. 

"You have performed extraordinary magic with this wand, My Lord, in the last few hours alone." Severus spoke. I felt the lump in my throat grow thick as I touched Hermiones back gently. I put my finger to my lips, begging her not to say anything. 

"No." My fathers voice sounded now. He sounded so weak and frail. "No, I am extraordinary, but the wand...it resists me." 

"There is no wand more powerful. Ollivander himself has said it." He paused for a moment. Severus kept his voice calm and collected but we both knew what was coming. "Tonight, when the boy comes, it will not fail you. Im sure of it." Another pause and I felt my heart would stop. "It answers to you, and you only." 

"Does it?" My fathers voice was doubtful now. I could hear the displeasure in his voice. 

"My Lord?" Severus asked. 

"The wand, does it truly answer to me? Youre a clever man, Severus, surely you must know. Where does its true loyalty lie?" 

"With you, of course, My Lord." Severus confirmed. 

"The Elder Wand cannot serve me properly because I am not its true master. The Elder Wand belongs to the Wizard who killed its last owner." My father paused now. My heart thudded so loud that I felt everyone around me could hear it. "You killed Dumbledore, Severus. While you live, The Elder Wand cannot truly be mine. Youve been a good and faithful servant, Severus, but only I can live forever. " 

"My Lor-" Severus' voice was cut short. My hand clasped over my mouth, trying to muffle the breath that threatened to escape me. A thud against the glass made me jump back. The figure was cloaked in black with no other detail I could see. I knew it was Severus and I knew he was either dead or dying. Panic struck my chest. 

"Nagini," My fathers voice was calm now. "Kill." He growled.