Don't Let Go || Colby

"Is he going to die?" 

Colby ignored the question, letting one of his other roommates answer. Brennan had showed up late to the hospital, completing the group of friends that sat in the waiting room. In truth, Colby didn't know the answer either. Was Sam going to die? 

In those first few moments that Colby had seen Sam against the wall, Colby had felt his entire world stop. All he could see was his best friend and the person he loved in Corey's arms, bloody and pale. 

It was only when Sam had opened his mouth like he was struggling to breath did Colby move into action. He'd scooped Sam up like he weighed nothing and sprinted down the stairs and to his car. Corey was only a few steps behind him. Devyn and Aaron had jumped into a separate car so Colby would have enough room to lay with Sam in the backseat.

It was the ride in the car that scared Colby the most. Sam wouldn't stop bleeding and his eyes had closed and his breathing was faint. Colby thought Sam was going to die in his arms. But the blonde boy made it to the hospital into the doctors care. And now Colby, Corey, Brennen, Aaron, Devyn, and Katrina were all waiting in a circle for a doctor to come out and tell them about Sam. 

They waited for eight hours before a doctor actually came outside. 

"Colby Brock?" Colby had never stood so fast in his life. "Sam Golbach's friend, right? He's in stable condition, but he isn't awake."

"Ok, so when can we see him?" Katrina, Sam's girlfriend, pushed Colby aside. Colby clenched his jaw, glaring at the small girl. 

"Well, only one person can see him right now." The doctor glanced between Katrina and Colby. 

"I'll tell you how he's doing." Katrina started walking towards the door. 

Colby let out a tiny growl and stepped in front of her. "No way in hell, Katrina, are you going to see Sam instead of me." 

"Colby, get out of the way. I'm his girlfriend." Katrina tried to step around him, but the brunette blocked her way again. 

"I'm his best friend, Katrina, and I've known him longer." 

"So what, Colby?" Katrina shook her head, her face getting red from the anger. "Last I heard, you two weren't even fucking speaking." 

Colby was taken aback. "Don't you dare think you know what goes on in our house. You don't even fucking live with us." 

"Hey, I'm going to need you two to calm down," the doctor interjected. Colby looked around to see everyone watching Katrina and him. 

With a harsh voice, Colby stepped aside and growled, "go see him, Katrina, because last time I checked, you were no help in saving him either."

Katrina's hand reared back and connected with Colby's face. The smacking sound echoed through the room and through her teeth, Katrina said, "you caused this." And then she walked past Colby and disappeared with the doctor. 

"Colby, man -" 

Colby pushed Corey out of his way as he stormed out of the hospital. He waited until he was safe in his car before he let himself start crying. Katrina was right. She was so fucking right! 

Colby hit his steering wheel and let out a choked sob. Why hadn't he just tried to talk to Sam again? Why had he pushed his best friend away when he knew something was deadly wrong? Why hadn't he warned anybody about the cuts?

Colby wished Elton was here. The oldest and wisest of the roommates would have known exactly what to do. 

The brunette boy started the car and pulled out of the hospital parking lot. He couldn't stop thinking about all the times Sam and he had spent wrestling and exploring and just being happy with each other. How could Colby have not known something was so wrong? 

Back at the house, Colby had gone into Sam's room and began cleaning the blood. He sobbed for the first hour before his eyes had run dry and there were no more tears left. After the blood had been cleaned, Colby just laid in Sam's bed and stared at the ceiling. All their arguments recently had been circling in his head. They all ended with the neck kisses and Colby's cruel words after. 

He should have just told Sam he loved him. 

Colby got a call later that night letting him know that Sam had woken up. Corey made no mention of Katrina and no mention of whether or not Sam had even asked to see Colby. In hindsight, Colby should have just let Katrina walk in first. Sam was probably still mad at Colby. He wouldn't have even wanted to see Colby. At this point, the blonde love of his life probably did love Katrina more than he loved Colby. 

Colby didn't remember falling asleep. But the darkness was a relief from the empty walls of the room around him. And in his dreams, Sam was happy again and everything was as it should have been....

....and Colby prayed for Sam to not let go.