Slip || Sam

It had been weeks.

Sam wasn't sure he remembered what the outside world looked like anymore. For weeks he had stayed by Colby's side deterring fans away from the room and fussing at doctors who didn't seem like they could help.

His only friend had become the slow beep on the heart rate machine.

"Sam, we think you should come home for a few hours." Elton had shown up to visit an hour ago. For a while, they had talked about the roommates and what everyone was doing. But then a terrible silence had filled the room...

...save for the beep.

"Who would watch Colby, then?" Sam asked, shaking his head. "I have to stay here. I need to be here when he wakes up."

Sam couldn't explain the need he had inside of him to stay with Colby. His anxiety grew with each moment that the brunette stayed in his coma. The hope of things becoming as they were had been slipping away by the day, and it was almost gone.

"You can't live here, Sam." Elton was just trying to help. And Sam knew that, but his anger flared anyways.

"You may not care," Sam accused, "but I do! I will be here when he wakes up."

"And what if he doesn't?" Elton's voice had raised. "What if he stays like this forever?"

Sam turned his head away, fear filled tears starting to run down his face. It was hard to imagine Colby never waking up....

...it was hard to face the very real feeling truth of it all.

Beep.

Sam stared at the machine.

Beep.

"He will wake up," Sam said slowly. He looked up at Elton. The 27 year old roommate who had always played the strong one was crying. His silent tears had soaked the collar of his shirt.

Elton shook his head, his mouth forming words he couldn't bare to say.

"Elton, he will wake up." Sam ran a hand through his hair. "He has to...."

=later that night=

Something wasn't right.

Sam rubbed his eyes, watching Colby's form. The machine whizzed quietly next to him, monitoring his life force.

Just as the blonde put his head back against the chair, the monitor began beating erratically. The alarmed sounds made Sam stand and rush to Colby's side.

For a second, he thought his best friend was going to wake up.

And then came the horrifying sound of a flat line. Colby's heart had stopped beating....

"Colby?" Maybe the cords had ripped out.

"Colby!" Sam was shaking him. "Colby, get up! Wake up! WAKE UP!"

"Sir, we need you to go." Three nurses had rushed into the room carting the electric boxes that revived people.

"NO!" Sam thrashed around, throwing the nurses off of him. "HE'S NOT DEAD!"

"Sir -"

"COLBY!" Sam was screaming. The sound was utterly animalistic and full of fear. That's what Sam felt like - a cornered animal, scared and alone.

"Sammy!"

**********

........

Love you guys....