I Am Yours || Sam

Sam waited for hours in the lonely arm chair, watching over Colby. The roommates had waited outside, respectively realizing that it was Sam who was closer to Colby and it was Sam who Colby would want at his side the most.

But Sam felt like he couldn't take it anymore. The longer the night drew on, Sam new the closer it would be when Colby didn't breath again. The doctors had been adamant about the fact that Colby would not survive.

"Colby?" Sam whispered. The only reply was the beeping machine that monitored his heart rate.

"Colby, I'm so sorry." Sam didn't care if Colby couldn't hear him. "I didn't mean what I said. I wanted you to come home every night. I waited for you to come home because all I wanted to do was be in your bed."

Beep.

"Colby, I've loved you since the day I met you. At first, I thought it was because I found a friend on the same level as I was. Then I knew it was because I found a person I could not just live for, but die for."

Beep.

"And I know we fought a lot. I was just so damn jealous of you and Brennen. I could see the growing love for him in your eyes and I hated that! Colby, I needed you!"

Beep.

Sam was crying, his fist balled up on his thigh. "I NEEDED YOU!" He screamed.

Outside, the roommates hesitated, not wanting to barge in. But they knew another outburst would force a nurse to escort Sam out of the building.

"Colby, please," Sam cried. "Please wake up!"

Beep.

Sam looked at the machine. The steady beeps had been the only reply Sam had needed. Colby was fighting for his life. He was fighting to wake up.

=48 hours later=

"We have no way of telling just how long he has now."

Sam had been listening to a doctor for two hours. He kept Colby's still body in the corner of his eye, refusing to stop watching over his best friend.

"Look, Doc, we need to know," Corey urged from the doorway.

"I'm sorry, but we can't be sure. He wasn't supposed to live through the first night." The doctor looked over to Sam, a sad look in her eyes. "And even if he did wake up, there's a good chance he will be brain dead. He won't be able to talk or move or anything. Colby will forever be a shell of what he was."

"But you have no way of knowing, right?" Sam had let agitation seep deep into his voice. His look became an icy glare as he watched the doctor.

"Sam -"

"No, this is bullshit!" Sam hissed. "They can't tell us anything about Colby! How do we even know that they know what they're doing with him?"

"Sir -"

"Unless you have tests to preform or something to tell me that's useful, get out," Sam growled. The doctor hesitated before shuffling out of the door.

"She's just trying to help," Corey whispered. He patted Sam's shoulder, silently watching Colby.

"She's not doing a good job of it," Sam muttered.

Corey nodded once, still staying behind Sam. "Just promise me one thing, Sammy. Promise me you won't hurt yourself if this goes bad."

Sam stayed silent. He wasn't sure he could promise something so large.

"Do it for Colby, Sam. You know he'd go crazy if you hurt yourself because of him," Corey whispered. "He'd come back to haunt the hell out of your ass."

Sam couldn't help the small chuckle that escaped his lips.

"I promise, Corey." And Sam meant it this time. "I promise I'll be ok."