TEN HOURS UNTIL DAWN

It had officially been a year since Hannah and Beth went missing, and everyone had lost hope

It had officially been a year since Hannah and Beth went missing, and everyone had lost hope. There was no possible way for them to be alive, and they had accepted that. Kara hadn't remained mad at Mike; she was a forgiving person, but deep down, he knew it was on him. Josh hadn't been doing well. Kara tried to be with him as much as possible; reminding him to take his medicine, and trying to comfort him when he needed it. They were still dating - it was possible the event had caused them to become closer;  but still, Josh was still off. Now, a year later, he was inviting everyone back to the lodge in honor of Hannah and Beth. Kara thought it was odd, but she pushed it aside, figuring this was how he was coping.

"Kara!" Kara turned to see Sam waving, and Kara smiled, greeting her with a hug. Chris waved at her.

"I haven't seen Josh in a while, how is he?" Chris asked.

"I saw him last week. He's been distant the last few days. Understandably so, but I just worry about him so much." Kara told them. They nodded, and Chris looked off in the distance. Kara saw a 'WANTED' poster, but ignored it.

"Hey, look at this!" He said, gesturing to a small shooting range. He picked the gun up, trying to show off.

"Let's see what you got, Mr. Show Off." Kara said, crossing her arms. Sam looked at her, raising an eyebrow. "I don't know, that's all I had at the moment." Kara said, chuckling. The two girls watched as Chris shot at different targets. A squirrel jumped onto one of the tree stumps, and Kara saw the wheels turning in Chris's head.

"If you shoot that squirrel, I'll shoot you." She told him, and Sam nodded, agreeing with her. Chris put the gun down, putting his hands up in surrender.

"Let's go, it's freezing, and I'm sure Josh is waiting for us." Kara told them. He'd sent them all a video, inviting them back to the lodge. In Josh's words, he wanted to 'party like fucking porn stars.'

It was odd, all of them were going to be back there. She had always wondered what had happened that night. When did Josh and Chris wake up? How long did Sam wait before running after her? Of course, the biggest question of all; what had happened to Beth and Hannah?

As they got into the cable car, she regretted drinking so much that night. If she had been sober, maybe she could've stopped it. It was too late now, and Kara had to deal with the guilt. They all did. Next to Mike, Matt felt the most guilty for recording it. Kara missed Beth. Beth was her person, and now she was gone. She couldn't help but to think if she had kept running for a few more minutes, she would've found them. Not long after she had woken up, the police had questioned her. She told them she heard screaming, but that was it.

***

"Oh, thank God. One more minute in there and I would've gnawed Kara's leg off." Chris groaned, getting out of the cable car. Kara chuckled, rolling her eyes. They saw Jess sitting on a bench, her legs crossed.

"Hey, Jess." Kara said quietly. She had never been too close to Jess, as sometimes she was difficult to be around. It was the same way with Emily, but at least Emily knew her left from her right.

"Hey, bitches!" Jess exclaimed.

"We're heading up to the lodge, are you coming?" Sam asked.

"I'm gonna wait for Mike." She told them. Sometime after Hannah and Beth disappeared, Mike and Emily had broken up, and Jess and Mike had gotten together. Kara wasn't sure how Emily and Jess would do in the same room, but at least Emily had Matt now.

The three nodded, and made their way up to the lodge. Chris was trailing a little bit behind them, leaving Sam and Kara to talk to each other.

"Do you think it's a little weird? Josh inviting all of us to the place where something tragic happened on the anniversary?" Sam asked, and Kara shrugged.

"I don't know, Sam. Maybe this is his way of coping. I guess he just wants to be surrounded by the people he loves. It can't be too weird; we all showed up." Kara responded, and Sam nodded.

"I guess you're right. Is he still taking his medicine?" Sam asked.

"As far as I know." She told Sam, readjusting her backpack on her shoulders.

"I miss Hannah." Sam sighed.

"I miss Beth." Kara responded.