NINE HOURS UNTIL DAWN

"Man, I feel like this mountain gets bigger every time I climb it

"Man, I feel like this mountain gets bigger every time I climb it." Chris groaned.

"Oh yeah? Feels the same to me." Josh shrugged, popping up out of nowhere. Kara put her hand on her chest, gasping a little. He chuckled, pulling her in for a kiss, and then putting his arm around her waist.

"Oh come on, you grew up here. It probably feels like it's shrinking." Chris responded. Josh chuckled.

"I guess that's true."

"When are you gonna install some cell towers up here? I'm getting withdrawals already." Chris complained, holding his phone up. Kara used her phone a lot, too. She kept wanting to check her notifications, but she had no signal.

"You got a spare million lying around, and I'll fix you right up." Josh joked.

"Funny you should say that, ah, I think I left that in my other jacket." Chris remarked.

"I have like, ten dollars if that helps." Kara told them, and Josh chuckled.

"Your charity is appreciated, my love. Now we just need nine hundred ninety-nine thousand nine hundred and ninety dollars." Josh said as they started walking towards the group.

"Hey, guys, get up here okay?" Josh asked.

"Yeah...well more or less, but it is so good to see you!" Ashley said, sitting on the porch stairs.

"I'm gonna go unlock the door." Josh told Kara. She nodded, looking at Matt. He didn't look happy.

"Hey, Matt, you okay?" She asked, putting a hand on his shoulder. It was completely innocent, but she was sure Emily would see it as a plan to steal her man. Kara didn't hate Emily; she didn't hate Jess either, they were just hard to put up with sometimes. At the end of the day, she would do anything for them.

"It's nothing. I'm okay. Thanks for asking, though, Kara." Matt said, smiling.

"No problem." She smiled. She looked up towards Chris and Josh, seeing that they were having trouble getting the door unlocked.

"So...how's Josh? How are you? I mean, Beth was your best friend..." Matt rambled.

"Josh is as good as he can be. He really loved them. And it's been hard. I always want to message Beth when I'm upset or have exciting news...and then I remember that she's gone." She told Matt, smiling sadly.

Kara had met Beth when she was nine, and Beth was eight. She had invited her to a sleepover, and they pretty much instantly became best friends. She remembered the first time she'd met Josh; he had come home late, and Kara was in the living room with Beth, doing her homework. They had stared at each other for a minute before Josh had gotten flustered and ran to his room. They started dating when they were sixteen, and they were now nineteen.

"Well, I'm here if you need to talk. Same goes out to Sam; I know she was close to Hannah." Matt said, pulling her into a hug.

"I don't remember the door being so hard to open!" Kara shouted towards the two boys.