SEVEN HOURS UNTIL DAWN

Kara heard screaming

Kara heard screaming. For a second, she thought it was herself, but quickly realized it wasn't. She couldn't tell who was screaming, but it worried her. This didn't sound like a scream from a prank, no, this felt gut wrenching. Kara ran faster, limping slightly. Was this how Hannah and Beth felt? Kara ran as fast as she could, cussing when a locked gate stood in her way. Kara looked around, before starting to climb up the wall that her and Sam had climbed over when they'd arrived. It wasn't that difficult for Kara- all of the sports she played had made her agile.

Her eyes widened when she saw Matt and Emily.

"Help!" She yelled. Matt and Emily turned around, seeing a disgruntled Kara.

"Jesus, Kara! What the hell happened to you?" Emily asked.

"You've got a nasty cut on your leg..." Matt stated, as if she didn't know. She put her hand over her chest, trying to steady her breathing.

"I-I was down by my car, and I saw someone behind me...he had a large weapon, and he started to follow me. I tripped and cut my leg on a rock. We need to call the cops!" She rambled, and Matt put his hands on her shoulder.

"Oh, fuck! I dropped my phone when I saw him, and I don't know where the cable car keys are..." She exclaimed.

"It's okay, Kara. Let's get back to the group, and get that cut fixed up. I'm sure it'll be better when we get inside." Matt suggested, and she nodded.

As they started to walk, Emily started to ask questions.

"What kind of weapon was he carrying?" She asked Kara. Kara shook her head.

"I have no idea. It wasn't a gun. This weapon was bulky, and from the glance I saw; it looked heavy." She told them.

As they got closer to the shed, she could make out two figures. One was Chris, and the other was Ashley. Ashley was bent over, crying. Walking closer to them, Kara's eyes widened as she saw Ashley covered in blood.

"Ash, what's wrong?" Kara asked, her eyes widened.

"It killed Josh! It killed him! I-I..." Ashley sobbed, and Kara shook her head.

"No...no! What happened? What happened?" She questioned, trying to glance inside the shed. When she did, she saw half of Josh's body hanging; his guts spilling into the floor.

"No!" She screamed, trying to run in the shed. Matt held her back, though she kept trying to get away from his grip. "No!" She screamed again, still trying to get away from Matt. This wasn't real. This couldn't be happening. Kara hit Matt's arms, trying to get away.

"Let me go!" She yelled, and Matt looked at Chris, unsure. Matt's grip loosened, and Kara ran to the lodge as fast as she could, not turning back. She couldn't go into the shed- it was more than she could handle. However, running away when faced with an emergency was something she could do. Truth be told, Kara didn't really have a destination. She was running aimlessly, hoping that she would soon wake up, seeing Josh beside her. She opened the door to the lodge, throwing herself on the carpet.

She wished Josh had never made plans to come back up to the mountain. She wished she were at home with her sister, and texting Josh.

"Dammit!" She yelled, balling her hands up into fists, and hitting the carpet. Kara had never been good at controlling her emotions. When something bad happened, whether it was something as small as a cop pulling her over for speeding, to hearing that the twins never made it off the mountain; she would begin to shake. She was fairly certain the cop had to comfort her when she had gotten pulled over. She had only faked her emotions in front of Josh because she knew he couldn't handle them both breaking down.

Now, she trembled in fear. As hard as she tried, she couldn't keep her body still. She squeezed her eyes shut, tears streaming down her face uncontrollably. She missed the days when the group had been happy.

She remembered a trip they took in their junior year of high-school. Josh was taking his medications regularly, and was the happy, loving person she fell in love with. Sam had smiled the whole time, unlike now, where Kara was sure Sam had worry lines. Emily and Jess had gotten along, and no fights had ruined their trips. Ashley and Chris were realizing they liked each other, but the events that soon came ruined it. Matt had bragged about his letter jacket the whole time, but it was endearing. Mike had a sparkle in his eye, that was now dim from all the events that happened. The twins weren't able to go on that trip, but she remembered texting Beth the whole time, keeping her up to date with their whereabouts.

Kara had a feeling that nothing would ever fix this. She was absolutely broken and terrified.