DAWN

"Your friends said that your boyfriend, Joshua, pulled a prank

"Your friends said that your boyfriend, Joshua, pulled a prank. Were you in on this prank? Did you know he was going to do this? Do you blame him?" A cop asked a dazed Kara.

"No...I..." She stuttered, trying to think of the right words to say.

"I didn't know he was going to do it. I...should've paid more attention. He wasn't taking his meds." She told them. They hadn't been to a hospital yet, they had only received minimal medical attention before getting interviewed.

"Meds?" The cop asked.

"He's schizophrenic. He didn't mean to hurt anybody." She answered, squeezing her eyes shut.

"Okay. Your friend, Emily said that Michael pulled a gun on you."

"He...he was scared. I told him to shoot me. He thought I was going to turn."

"Turn into what?" The cop asked, and she sighed.

"A Wendigo." The cop looked at her as if she was joking.

"I know you don't believe me...you choose what you want to see, and won't take a teenager seriously. It doesn't matter. If you go down to the mines, you won't survive long enough to tell me I was right." She said, taking a deep breath.

"Where's Josh?" She asked the cop.

"He's being questioned."

"H-how many people survived?" She asked, afraid of the answer. The cop looked down to her clipboard.

"Kara Swan, Christopher Hartley, Joshua Washington, Samantha Giddings, Emily Davis, Ashley Brown, and Michael Munroe were found near the burning lodge. Jessica Riley and Matthew Taylor were found by the mines." Mike had been so sure Jess was dead. Kara sighed in relief, knowing everyone had made it through the night.

***

Kara's eyes fluttered open, seeing her little sister sitting in a plastic chair, on her computer, looking deep in thought. "W-what?" She asked, noticing the oxygen tubes going up her nostrils.

"Kara!" Caitlin exclaimed, shutting her computer.

"Where...where are dads?" She asked, afraid to move. The last words she'd heard were not to move. Mike had been quite clear about that. It felt like the whole night had been a nightmare, but looking at the large bandage on her chest, she knew otherwise.

"They're talking to the cops and doctors. They were here a couple of hours ago. I'll call them. Are you feeling okay? Should I get a nurse?" Caitlin asked.

"I'm...fine." She whispered. Caitlin stayed quiet for a moment.

"Is it true?" Kara turned to her sister, furrowing her eyebrows.

"Is it true that it was a Wendigo? You know I read a lot of old lore because I get bored, and I heard the cops saying something about it. I've been looking at the lore on my computer. Did it really happen?" Kara grabbed her sister's hand, gesturing for her to sit down on the bed.