EIGHT HOURS UNTIL DAWN

Kara walked out of her room while they were setting up the board

"What's up, babe?" Josh asked, pulling the board out of it's box. Kara looked around.

"I can't find my phone. I think I left it in my car." She frowned. "I think I'm gonna go get it." Kara told him. He looked concerned for a minute.

"Are you sure, Kara? I mean, we can wait until tomorrow morning and go get it together?" Josh suggested.

"It's not just that. I want to call my dads because I know they're nervous about me being here again, and I'll have service down there. Plus, I think I left my medicine in there, too." She said.

"You take pills?" Chris asked.

"To contain my headaches from Jess and Em." She joked. In reality, she was on medication for seizures. Josh hugged her tightly, confusing her, but she hugged back just as tight.

"You're sure you want to go alone? Maybe Sam could come with you?" Josh suggested.

"I'm fine, Josh. I don't want to disturb Sam from her bath. She's been talking about it since we got here. Unless there are any creatures out here that are going to eat me up, I think I'm good." She said, smiling slightly. Josh had always been protective over her, but tonight seemed different.

"Alright, at least take a flashlight and take my coat. It's freezing out there." Josh suggested, and she nodded, pulling him in for a kiss. He grabbed his coat, and put it on her, kissing her on the forehead.

"Here, this is the only other set for the cable car keys. Don't lose them." Josh said, handing her the keys.

"I'll be back in twenty minutes. Thirty at most." She assured him. He smiled, though he seemed nervous.

"Have fun with your demon board!" She said, waving at the three of them.

***

As she walked down the snowy path to the cable car, she had the suspicion of someone following her. She knew she was just being paranoid, but something felt wrong. She thought back to a year ago, running after Beth and Hannah. They'd never had a funeral because they were in denial. It had been a year; the chances of them still being out there were slim.

When Kara was six, she lost her dads in a mall, and hid underneath a clothing rack until they found her. That was the closest she'd ever been to disappearing. She remembered being terrified that she would never see them again. Unlike the day at the mall when she was six, their family had never found them. They never got out from underneath the clothing rack, so to speak.

Kara had a fifteen year-old sister, Caitlin. Caitlin was sweet and innocent, much like Beth and Hannah were. Kara knew she'd be destroyed if anything happened to her; Kara couldn't fathom what Josh felt like.

When Kara reached her car, she got her phone, only to find out there was no service. She knew she had service when she had arrived. She sighed, about to grab the medication out of her car when she heard a shriek. Through one of the windows in her car, she saw a figure behind her. She couldn't make out any features; she just knew he was a man with a weapon. Kara dropped her phone, causing it to land in the snow. Kara didn't think twice before starting to run.

She ran the way she came from, wanting to alert everyone else that there was someone with a weapon near them.

It had been a year, and Kara still failed to look in front of her when she was running. She tripped, falling, and cutting her leg on a sharp rock. She gasped in pain, watching as the blood ran down her leg. She put her hands on it, gasping; as it was stinging in pain.

She saw the figure again. The man had a large weapon. Kara screamed, starting to run again. She made it to the cable cars, shutting the doors behind her quickly. She hyperventilated as the cable car started moving upwards.

Her leggings had ripped when she had cut her leg on the rock, causing the wound to be exposed to the cold air. Kara used used her strength, tearing off a piece of her shirt to make a bandage. She wrapped it around her leg, squeezing her eyes shut. Luckily, a little blood had never bothered her before. She was more concerned about the person with a large weapon.

As the cable car doors opened, she ran out, forgetting about the keys. She ran up the snowy path, screaming out names. She wasn't sure if anybody could hear her.

"Josh!" She screamed. "Mike! Matt! Chris, Em, anybody!" She screamed.