Chapter 18//Ghost of you

Calum's P.O.V

I furiously pressed the buttons on the controller as I played an intense round of FIFA with Luke. Then my phone began to ring with Michael's name flashing on the screen.

"Hey Mike, what's up? I thought you guys were at dinner?" I asked.

"Its Mena." He sobbed. "She's here at the hospital. She was in a serious car wreck."

I dropped my controller, growing weak at the knees. I held the phone to my ear, unable to speak.

"W-will she- will she be ok?" I asked holding back some tears.

"She's not doing so good, Calum. She broke her neck, arm, has a severe concussion, and a lot of blood loss."

I stood up quickly and shut off the game. "We're on our way."

Luke frowned, "what the hell man?!"

I hung up the phone, wiping some tears from my eyes before turning back to Luke.

"Calum, what's going on?" Luke asked, concerned.

"Mena, she's in the hospital." I spoke softly and Luke shot up, rushing over to the door.

"Let's go then!" He gestured out the door and u quickly walked out and grabbed my keys.

Michael's P.O.V

I stared at my sister, feeling completely hopeless as she laid there, bandaged up with tubes all around her.

Crystal wiped a tear from her cheek as she scrolled through all their old texts, smiling every now and then.

Looking over at Ashton, I watched him fidget with his fingers while staring at the heart monitor.

Calum swung open the door. "Oh my God!" He breathed and went to the bedside. "Mena..." he whispered studying her face with tears rolling down his cheeks.

Luke stood next to Calum, shaking his head slowly as a tear fell from his eye then he turned back to us as Ashton let out a quiet sob.

I put a hand on Ashton's shoulder and lowered my head. I couldn't bear the sight of my sister near death and my best friends crying.

We all sat in silence most of us in tears continuously, remembering all the good times when suddenly Mena's scratchy voice filled the room.

"Guys?"

I shot up with Crystal and Ash. All of us speeding to the bed side to watch her eyes flicker open, then close again.

Ashton interlocked his fingers with Mena's making him cry again as she faintly smiled at us.

"Mena, it's gonna be ok. Just keep holding on." I assured her watching her turn her head to the side where Cal, Crystal, and Luke stood.

"Don't forget me." She whispered.

Crystal shook her head, coughing up more tears and Calum stroked her cheek with his index finger letting out soft sobs.

Mena then looked straight at me. "I love you, idiot."

My breath hitched and more tears flowed from my eyes, blurring my vision as I breathed out a response.

"Please don't go. I need you." I pleaded.

Her head lowered to the side where Ashton stood. "Find someone, find love again."

A tear fell from her soft blue eyes. "I love you Ash..." She looked up at all of us.

"I love you guys..."

Then she breathed her last breath.

Beep. Beep. Beeeeeep.

Her heart monitor showed a straight line and the room burst into furious tears as the doctor rushed into the room.

"Get them out of here!"  The doctor called as another one pushed us out of the door.

"No! I want to be in there with her!" Ashton shouted fighting against the doctor.

"Sir, please!" The doctor urged him back shutting the door and locking it behind him.

"No, no, NO!" Ashton punched the wall then shook out his hand. "She can't be gone!"

Calum put a hand on Ashton's shoulder but Ash pushed it off forcefully, then ran out of the hospital.

I looked back to see Crystal sobbing into her hands, Luke leaning back on the wall looking up at the ceiling while tears ran down his face, and Calum with teary eyes looking at me.

"What are we going to do now?" He asked.

I ran a hand through my hair and looked over to the doors and out to the parking lot where Ashton was. So I followed him.

Ashton's P.O.V

I ran outside, through the parking lot, and out onto the road. Where I hoped a car would run into me just like it had Mena's car. So it would end all of my misery.

As I saw a car speeding towards me off in the distance, I closed my eyes waiting for the impact then...bliss. No more pain, no more hurt, no more sadness. I'd finally be with Mena. Me and her forever.

Suddenly a tight grip pulled me to the sidewalk. I opened my eyes to see Michael, with wide, red-rimmed, puffy, eyes.

"Ashton, stop!" He demanded taking me to the bench by the sidewalk.

I sat down and put my head in my hands. "I can't live without her Michael. She was my everything. I LOVE her!!"

Tears poured out from my eyes again as I pulled out the little black box from my pocket.

"What is that-"

I opened it to show him the diamond ring inside. Then I closed it, shoving it back in my pocket.

"I was going to ask her at dinner but then all of this happened and now..." I trailed off looking over at Michael who was wiping his still continuous stream of tears.

"I'm going to miss her too, Ash. We all are." He sniffled.

Calum then came out of the doors to the hospital. "Guys...come here...now!"

I stood up, getting excited. Was she alive? Did they save her?!

I hurried back inside with Michael right behind me. Running back into the room to see a still sullen Mena. No movement, or breathing.

The doctor turned to me with a dark look of sadness. He sighed and pressed a tool her her stomach to show the outline of a tiny fetus.

"She was pregnant...2 months."

My jaw dropped as I began to hyperventilate. My breathing uncontrollably unstable, tears pouring and pouring out from my eyes and I fell to the ground.

"A dad...I was going to be a dad." I sobbed.

"Couldn't you do something?! Anything to save it?" Michael yelled.

The doctor just shook his head and frowned. "I'm sorry, but they're both gone."

I couldn't think about anything about what Mena had said to me.

Find love again...

How?! When she was my everything, the only person that understood me. The mother to MY child. OUR child. We could've raised it together, watched it grow up, send it off to college and watch it become successful.

All of it just gone...my love and my baby...I would do anything to get them both back. That's all I wanted. Was them.

I lost her forever. Never able to hear her voice again, or her stupid jokes, or see her sweet smile, or hear her contagious laugh again.

Life would never be the same without her. Never again would I be able to 'find someone' as amazing, talented, beautiful, funny, and understanding as her. My Mena. Our Mena. Apart of our family.

She was gone and there was nothing anyone could do about it.